Amercian auto wire????

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by mjoc, Jul 1, 2018.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

I recieved the America Autowire upgrade wiring kit for my 1970 camaro. I purchased the assembly manual for the 70 Camaro as well. my car is already completely put together but I developed an electrical issue.
    SO I decide I will just rewire the whole car and get everything done right instead of adding on to the years of butchering the wiring system.

Now here is my question and I hope I dont sound like a idiot... Before I start tearing the whole car apart and not knowing what the hell I'm doing. WHat would be the best way to tackle this project? Where Should I start and how should I proceed with the install.. the more detailed the info the better.

Thanks in Advance,
    Michael

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First of all, It is a very time consuming task installing the upgrade kit. Read the instructions very well and get everything organized to do it. Also you need the special crimp tools AAW sells to get all the crimps done correctly. It is a very nice kit for the money. I purchased the same kit for my 70 firebird and installed it. Would I do it again? NO! Also removing all the wiring will be required. My suggestion if you never done any kind of wiring like this before. Buy the plug and play harnesses you need. It may cost a little more. But it will save you a tremendous amount of time.

3. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

I agree with ronzz572 plug and play all the way

4. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would agree with Ronzz and $Mike's assessment. - I was not having any issues, but my wiring harness was pretty crispy and brittle so I opted for the front light, engine compartment and rear light kits from AAW. The kit I bought was factory fit and it was an absolute perfect match in color, length and terminal ends The way the factory kit lays out, you really can not mess it up. It starts at the firewall and as you unroll it, each wire really only has one place it can go/attach. - Even if your a first timer at this, it's a no-brainer.

--

5. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

I wish I could just get a replacement plug and play kit... BUt I have way to many modifications to the electrical system. Starting with ignition upgrade, charging system upgrade, Headlight and harness upgrade. Electric FAns, Aftermarket AC, Aftermarket Gauges in dash as well as on pillar, upgrade dome and map light, LED tail lights which needed an extra wire, Electric Fuel Pump, Aftermarket Stereo system.. will be putting in electric windows at some point.
    I did buy the tool kit (crimps, been practicing getting them right. not too hard) in general I am good with electrical work I just need to have everything layed out in my mind and know how I should be doing it..

6. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

When I used the AAW kit in my 68, I started by installing the bulkhead connector. Ran the wires in the dash, then worked my way back. After that, I did the front of the car. Easy weekend project if you don't get distracted. I love doing electrical work, so it was fun for me.

7. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

I like doing electrical work too... I will do what you said and start at bulk head... and work way back.... I guess I need to start slowly removing everything and just keep track of everything ..

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

I don't know about you, but I don't trust my memory as much as I used to. When we take doors, hatches, dashboards apart with a ton of sensors, wires and accessories, we take a bunch of pictures with our phones for reference from different angles. They sure come in handy. Good luck. I've been thinking of going the same route as you.

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

yes, pics & notes. Make sure you understand the schematic & what wires you're going to use and which wires are 'free'. When I did my Elky, I drew additional schematics that helped during the install. You'll find that some wires in the harness won't be needed. Those wires 'can' be used for your 'custom' stuff. But you have to keep notes so you can remember which is which. AAW labels each wire so that will help in the identification process. If you layout the harness on the bench & go thru the installation in your head, it helps. (it did for me)
    *** after you finish installing a circuit, i.e. your rear parking lights, test them. Identify & resolve problems as you go. Don't wait till the whole install is finished before you start testing.
    Keep in mind the power windows & anything you want to add in the future. You can identify wires that can be used for that purpose in the future. Coil these wires up & mark them for refernace.
    Don't forget to take pics & notes. Yes, I'm repeating my self & yes, they're important.
    Good Luck

10. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Hi mjoc

Used the kit in my car. Study the instructions for a couple of weeks and as you get more comfortable with the instructions and diagrams, unravel each part of the kit. For example, study the front lighting harness instructions for a couple of days and get that right in your head. Then open the bag with that harness in it, unravel it and connect the dots in your head. Study next harness and repeat.

As to where to start, take a lot of photos, remove all of your old wiring then follow the AAW instructions. It’s pretty simple once you get into it. Allow yourself plenty of time and don’t rush. In fact enjoy it.

Darren