American Pie

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by xten, Sep 26, 2019.

1. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Before MTV the radio was what you listened to. There were a lot of songs that were overplayed. This was certainly one of them but i seem to recall that Madonna remade it a few years ago and was generally chastised for even attempting it.

gramps and xten like this.
  2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Watching the video and seeing the shot of Bobby Dylan holding the sign "I can't sing", I had to laugh.

I had the same music teacher that Bobby had (seriously), back in 1966 and 1967 (I'm 13 years younger - but Val Pederson was our music teacher in JHS). Val had us study Bobby's music (the lyrics) to learn what he was saying in his music. Neither one of us can sing worth a damn, but Bobby learned how to write music....

Being from that era, Buddy Holly, Big Bopper and Richie Valens music was still popular even though they all died in the plane crash in 1959.

Who remembers the movie "La Bamba" from 1989?

It's primarily about Valens, but of course it covers the "Winter Dance Party" tour that had a hectic schedule of 24 concerts in 3 weeks.

xten likes this.
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I remember hearing the song on my way to Algona, IA to pick up my son's 76 Monte Carlo.
    We were approaching Clear Lake, IA (nearest town to the plane crash site) when it came on the radio.

There's a marker way off the road which designates the site.
    [​IMG]

For all I know, the local station probably still plays that song every day.

xten likes this.
  4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The plane crash that took the lives of those three musicians had other big repercussions to the music industry. One of Holly's band members gave up his seat on the plane at the last minute to allow a sick member on the plane. That musician was Waylin Jennings. Instead of flying that trip, he drove up to the venue in Moorhead, Minnesota, across the river from Fargo, ND. If Waylon had taken his seat, we would never had the Highwaymen.

When the plane didn't arrive, it was too late to cancel the concert so a local radio station put out a plea for local musicians to show up and play something for the people who bought tickets. One of the bands that showed up was a group of local high school age kids. This group included Bobby Vee of Fargo who got the exposure that night to go on and have a recording career of his own. Had that accident not happened, we would never heard of Bobby Vee and his hit songs.

xten likes this.
  5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I’m 44 but now all those “oldies”, as my dad being born in 1950 that’s all he listened to. Chicago used to have an oldies station called Magic 104.3 with a DJ names Dick Biondi. Summer holidays were awesome as they would do a 500 count down.

xten likes this.
  6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

It wasn't just Jennings who gave up his seat...

"After a show in Clear Lake, Iowa, on February 2nd, Holly decided to charter a plane for himself, guitarist Tommy Allsup and Jennings so they could fly to Fargo, North Dakota, instead of taking the long, frozen bus trip. Richardson, who was suffering from the flu, asked Jennings for his seat on the plane, and Valens asked the same of Allsup. When Jennings told Holly that he was going to take the bus, Holly jokingly told him he hoped the bus broke down, to which Jennings replied, “I hope your ol’ plane crashes.”"

That's how Valens and the Big Bopper ended up on the plane.

xten likes this.
  7. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have heard the song many times and never knew what it was about.
    I never had cable TV and did not watch much Video music stuff..Just turn on the radio and listen to it..people begin talking or a commercial comes on I change the channel or turn it off.

I am 51 and sometimes think my life was spent under a rock or the hood of a car.
    So many things about famous people I never knew.

Thanks for posting the video.

xten likes this.
  8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

We didnt have videos so much during that time.Other than American Bandstand .Other wise it was AM radio ,records and concerts .Like i have said before its much easier to understand if you grew up and or was around during that era.

xten likes this.