amps - headlights

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chuck71RS, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How many amps does a halogen draw at low and high? Does halogen draw more amps then the 71 installed headlights?

71 owners manual shows bulb specs under "Candle Power" with headlights high "60w" and "50w" low. So 5 amp high and 4 low. 71 was before the halogen......I think.

2. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

When I got my 68 Chevy II Nova someone at some point installed some Wagner halogen headlights and since I wanted to return it to how it was originally with the T3 headlights I did two things. I bought a set of original working T3's from a person out of town and then a set of the reproduction ones.
    Since I had access to some test equipment, I ran some tests on all three of the bulbs and below are the results. What was interesting was on the low beam side the reproduction T3's pulled the most current followed by the original T3's while the Halogens from Wagner drew the least and then on the high beam side the reproduction T3's still pulled the most current but then the Wagner's drew slightly less followed by the original T3's.

[​IMG]

While I have yet to do any tests using a light meter to measure light output, when I had the bulbs on a test bench is was very easy to see the differences in brightness.

[​IMG]

Here is an album with some more info:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums/72157660142962756/with/28059012514/

Jim

BillyDean7173 and Chuck71RS like this.
  3. Chuck71RS

Great information Jim. I have the Wagner H6024

I have to plead ignorance for I don't know what I am seeing. There are two light locations, in the headlight and something above the headlight

4. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Not exactly this but on topic,I just bought some 4 inch halogen bulbs for my tractor-I was also concerned about amps,I wired a new "regular" bulb and a new halogen bulb to a 12 volt source to check but noticed as above the "regular" bulb threw more light to the naked eye than the halogen! I didn't even bother to check amps-kept the regular bulbs and returned the halogens weird-- Later Steve!!

5. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Thanks.

Below are the area's I was seeing as looking brighter inside the yellow circles and curved yellow spots past the outside edge of the bulbs. The other pictures where there is light coming out by the terminals and a reflection off of the backside of the bulb from the work light on my test bench is of no real concern and this is why I cropped the picture to show it better in the below link/picture.

Granted this is only my observations and eventually I would like to do some tests with a decent light meter.

[​IMG]

Jim

Chuck71RS likes this.
  6. Chuck71RS

Ok, now I get what I am looking at, followed by a head smack. The T3 definitely brighter then the halogen. Would have bet the farm a halogen would be brighter