Another Cam Suggestion Thread :P

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Powers76, May 6, 2013.

1. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

I know these threads are dime a dozen but I would like to get some opinions. I did a bit of research but still want to talk to someone with some experience. Here come the specs:

400sbc .040 over
    Summit Aluminum Stage 2 intake
    Holley 700cfm carb
    Stock heads
    Turbo 350 with shift kit, stock converter
    Headers, Dual Exhaust with Flowmaster 40's
    Stock rear end, 2.78 (if memory serves) open diff but plan on upgrading to something like 3.55's or 3.73's

Car will be for the most part a street runner, nothing crazy. I would like a cam that performs well all around but if I had to choose I think a torquey low end cam would be preferred because thats where it will mostly be at. Guy at the machine shop suggested a few cams, he said the biggest cam recommended for a stock converter would be Duration @50:214/224, Duration 443/465, and LSA (I think?)100/124

Opinions, thoughts, yelling at machine shop guy for being dumb, whatever you have to say lets hear it. Thanks!

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Yes that 214* INTAKE duration, the one you should be concerned about, the exhaust will be of little effect. If you can get the above cam in 110 to 112* LC it will be a great cam for you.

3. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

The guy said I could get just about any grind of cam so Ill ask but 110 LSA and 214* intake duration is what im looking for, gotcha. Im curious why he gave me two LSA's though thought you could only have one