another carb question

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by cutty, Oct 1, 2012.

1. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

the quadrajet carb on my daily driver started acting up,so i pulled it and a buddy of mine gave me 1,but has a gray plug on top of it(only the 1 plug) can i use it or? my carb doesnt have it,

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do you mean by a gray plug, it has an electrical connection, like for the computer hook up?

3. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It sounds like it is the electronic carb, which you cannot use on your vehicle. Just rebuild the one you have, check the throttle shafts for wear, as it will develop play and suck air. This will require a bushing kit as well as a rebuild kit. Then you will be like brand new. Just my 2 c.

4. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

ya has a electrical connection on top only, doesnt have the 1 on the side

5. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The on the side is the choke. The one on top is the electronic controlled carb. That carb won't work right on your car.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you're not into rebuilding carbs, IMHO it would be worth it to send your carburetor to someone like Jet, SMI, etc. Q-jet's are hard to beat...

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What makes you think that the Qjet is the problem. Please describe what the symptoms are. Once you give us that information we might be able to tell you how to fix it.

And no, you can't use that friend's Qjet as it requires a computer to control it.

Common problems with Qjets are as follows:

1) Symptom: With engine cold, it starts right up but runs rich. Will NOT start when the engine is up to operating temperature unless you hold the throttle to the floor and eventually it will start.

Cause: the welch plugs in the bottom of the main body are leaking.

The fix: buy a rebuild kit, float, and a Hysol Epoxy. The expoxy is to seal the welch plugs. You need the kit to replace all the gaskets, accelerator pump, and the float.

2) Symptom: engine surges at idle. Sometimes accompanied by poor gas mileage and poor performance.

Cause: worn throttle shafts, vacuum leak(s), leaking base plate to intake gasket.

Fix: Find and fix the vacuum leaks. Replace the base plate gasket. Have bushings installed in the base plate.

8. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

at first, i noticed after getting it on it alittle bit it would run rich until i tapped the carb,and then it just started leaking fuel everywhere from the carb,took it apart was gummed up pretty good,ordered a rebuild kit for it, i asked about other carb as i was gonna use it temp till other 1 was done

9. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

what does that senor thing control anyways?

10. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member