antenna - windshield vs interior

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Chuck71RS, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For broadcast signal (fm and am) does one type of antenna provide better reception then the other (in the windshield or in the interior)?

Have a new windshield to install that has the antenna.
    The Houston area is pretty flat, if terrain is a factor

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have not noticed any difference in fender mount or windshield wire type.

I have a fender mount behind the seat in my 47 dodge truck and my 57 chevy has some solid core 12 gauge wire poked into the antenna on the old Alpine radio.
    The solid wire goes from radio to the right kick panel under the dash then runs back towards the radio and then under the carpet in the center trans hump for about 8 "
    Great reception.
    I have noticed the head unit makes much more difference sometimes than the antenna.
    I had 1 old Rockwood generic that was the best at picking up stations.
    I could get OKC stations 150 miles away and even the new car like the factory 95 corolla or 2003 and 2005 vibe will drop those stations at 75 miles out.

I think the technology today is not geared towards radio reception like it was in the 80's

3. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Considering you're right in Houston, I don't think you'll have any problem picking up any local stations. I would just use the windshield antenna as GM intended.