Antique vehicle plates. Who uses them?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Chevy 350, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Chevy 350

Chevy 350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    I am looking for another second gen and was searching on ebay and came across old plates with the years on them.
    Who uses these on their cars? I assume all you need to do is find an old plate that is no longer used. Lot of red tape to jump through or is it fairly easy?
    I guess they make you get new tags every year still?

My parents have a bunch of old Illinois plates in the basement from my great aunt's eastate which was sold off probably over 10 years ago now. I think almost every consecutive plate is there All with the same license number) and recall it going through atleast the mid 70s (I remember there being bicentennial plates that matched the license nmbers)

I figure if no body has this number in Illinois I can put a set of those to good use some day, no matter what year of car I get

2. Chevy 350

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    Dang. Cant tell if anyone has it. The Illinois DMV plate search says you cant have any numbers over 999 even with vanity plates, and the plates at my parents house are "AP 8307"

3. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    In Missouri it is a breeze. You just have to have a plate that is the same year as your car. You fill out a form and send it w/a pic of the plate and your one time fee of $25.00(I think) and that is it. You are limited on the amount of miles you can drive per year and how far from home you can drive though.

4. Chevy 350

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
  5. Chevy 350

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    That last part sounds like a drag
    If I get a car it will be to drive. Not like it will be a show quality car though

6. 76turtle

76turtle New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    wichita kansas
    here in kansas you can find a tag that is the same year as your car . it must b a antique 35 yrs or older. was easy just like tags on daily driver but, its no reminder for renewal so no sticker and just 17.50 a year. i had my ol 67 camaro taged this way,now i have a 72 truck with them, and i am patiently waiting for my 76 to get old enough.

7. Chevy 350

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    Im looking at a 75 LT right now. Kind of rough but "ran when parked 10 years ago" kind of car
    I think 1981z28owner told me at one time he was getting old plates for his, and his is an 81. So if thats so, a 75 should be fine to do this to

I hope theyll let me do this for a car that looks like a turd :/

8. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    Here is the qualifications:

"To qualify for historic license plates, a vehicle (passenger vehicle, truck, or motorcycle) must be 25 years old or older, owned solely as a collector’s item, and used for exhibition and educational purposes.

Vehicles displaying historic or antique license plates may be driven:

1. To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
    2. To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
    3. Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Historic license plates are a permanent registration and cannot be transferred. If you sell or dispose of the vehicle, you must return the plates to the Missouri Department of Revenue."

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  9. Chevy 350

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
  10. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    Yep...looks that way. Atleast we have 1000 miles of personal use.