Any Benefits of Insulated Garage Door?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If your garage heated or cooled?

I have an attached garage with a gas heater hung from the ceiling.
    The garage walls are insulated and sheet rocked.
    I only keep it around 50* in the winter but I don't think the heater could keep up when it's sub-zero outside as thin aluminum garage door panels offer almost zero insulation by themselves.

3. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

My garage is not climate controlled but being located in Alabama it gets super hot. I have an extra refrigerator in the garage and I know it has to work hard in the summer.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm near Chattanooga, house built in 94, basement garage with two non insulated doors. I insulated them about 3 years ago, and while it's not a night and day difference, yes it did help. I feel it was worth the money and effort.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  5. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

What did you use to insulate your doors?

6. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I insulated our garage doors at the same time I insulated the walls. Together they made a big difference during Michigan winters, and even in the summer it seems cooler in the garage. But I can't say how much was due to the doors versus the walls. There is still a fair amount of convection through the air gaps along the sides of the doors. Someday I should tighten that up.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Insulating the garage door and also the entire garage makes good sense no matter where you live. Summer is too hot and Winter is too cold to have the garage at a decent temp without insulation. If you care about your vehicles stored in there, insulate the garage as well as you can. A car stored in a hot garage suffers a lot of plastic and rubber breakdown long before it would happen in an insulated garage. Winter cold isn't nearly as hard on a stored car as heat, but it is hard on a car being used every day. Insulation helps and is worth it.

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Is your garage insulated? If not, insulating the doors won't do much good. If it is, it will help.

Looking at the kit you linked, it's only .3125" thick. It's more of a reflective barrier than true insulation. They don't even list an "R" rating.

My garage doors (both the attached, unheated garage and my detached and heated shop) have 2" of foam with an R value of around 10 IIRC. The walls have R19 and the ceiling R38. In winter the inside of my garage is typically 10 - 20 degrees warmer than outside. In the summer, there it is noticeably cooler inside than outside.

I didn't initially insulate and sheet rock my shop when I built my home (money constraints). The garage doors were insulated but really didn't help. In 2010 I insulated and sheetrocked the shop and it was amazing how much cooler it was working inside the shop (no AC).

Shizzle likes this.
  9. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Depends, in sumer, does it get some direct sun, you will notice the difference. Big difference I noted was when I insulted the ceiling in the garage, man that cut down on the heat. I just bought a triple layer Pella garage door at H Depot. I had picked one pattern for the stamping (beadboard) and had no problem with the $2400 price. Then for some reason when I went back to order, I changed my mind for the simple recessed square design, BAM price went to $1400 (they were having a15% off sale and the military discount of %10 was eligible also). I couldn't believe just stamping a different pattern was a $1000 difference. It's a big frickin die, yea a few extra lines but that much of difference was unbelievable. I had a wood door before that so didn't notice any difference. I usually go top of the line or middle of the line when I buy stuff. Pays to buy something of quality once and be done with it. I did have quite a few problems with the installer, little dent in the door on the edge, so he orders a new panel, comes out, after 2 missed appt's (rain , traffic what ever excuse he could come up with and has the wrong color panel, more missed appt;s so I called H Depot and told them do not send out this installer again, after all the problems they gave me an additional $200 off, $1200 for a triple layer door! I was almost happy about the first installer screwing up.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  10. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Yes, My garage is insulated. It is a two car attached garage. I have foam insulation above it in the attic.