Any Fiero fans out there?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by tom3, Jun 25, 2019.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

There is a gold one about a block from me sitting under a giant oak. Has not move for a couple years.

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

ME,,,me me,,,,
    love those little POS.... It was a Chevette front end with a Citation front end (yes 2 front ends) put together. Thats why they were sooo cheap..no new tooling to make. ALWAYS (even today) wanted an '86 GT V-6 5 speed. I recal everybody RIPPING the spoilers off the deck lid. :(
    which...BTW look right at home on a 67 Firebird ;)

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

I have Fiero seats in my S-10. Speakers are even hooked up. Guy that inspects my car has a son that's doing a 3.8 swap from a GTP into one this weekend. It's a stick now, and he's going with an auto. I'd leave it manual if possible.

Attached Files:

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the lil getrag tranny would die immediately.... at least with an automatic it has a CHANCE. I had a GTP back in 95 when the wife got scared of the 94 TA... and she WOULD NOT drive a 4 door (Bonneville SSEI...like WTF)

5. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

If you could keep a Head Gasket on them!

6. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

it will be interesting to see what it sells for on BringATrailer. When it was sold at Barrett-Jackson it went for $25,000. The Top of the car looks a Lot better than the bottom!

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

FWIW - I had about 4 of the old Iron Duke 2.5L engines in cars that I owned and drove 150,000+ relatively trouble free miles in each of them (Pontiac 6000's, Buick Century).

I don't know if the 3.0L 4 cylinder in this racing Fiero is based on the Iron Duke or not. But for a race car, frequent maintenance is a given.

My comment was based mostly on the fact that the 2.8L V6 was never considered to be a powerhouse. A 3.0L 4 must have been their answer for a competitive power plant for the class they were running.

8. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

I had an '89 Grand Prix SE with the 2.8L and Getrag 5-speed. It would smoke the tires and bark the 1-2 upshift! Did it regularly for 140,000 miles. I have a '99 GTP with the 3.8L L67 and IT ain't too shabby either...

Now if they get the Fiero to hook it's game over! Heard of people shoehorning SBCs in them...

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I worked at Pontiac during that era when they made the Fiero. They were fun little cars, we were the first in the zone to get to test drive them as our dealer was a trouble shooting center (fix all at any cost) so when something new came out we got to drive it first. Everyone drove the little Fiero's and then one dumb salesflunky took one around a freeway ramp too fast and rolled a tire off the rim, they fired him on the spot for that. I also got to drive one of the customers Fiero that put a Chevy 350 in it after he popped the 2.5 and it was an absolute blast to drive. Sure wish GM would have put something better than the crappy 2.5 or 2.8 V6 in them. I have even though about putting in a 3.4 from a Transport van that was a bolt in. Yup guys have put about everything in those cars. Love to see someone use the new turbo 4 cyl from the new Camaro in that Fiero.

10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Why settle for the 2.0L Turbo from the Camaro/Equinox/Cadillac ATS? Go with the 2.7L Turbo from the Silverado!!!