any RC hobbiests

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

just bought a tamiya rc truck at a yard sale but the controller won't turn on. going to call the hobby shop Sunday but curious if they make a cheap universal controller for these things? this one has the removable frequency pills. jim

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

When I 1st got into these things in the 80’s, the controllers were $150+, you can get cheapo radio setups for $40-$45 these days.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

The truck should have the frequency on it somewhere. Just find one that is the same. It's been a while since I messed with them.

4. RC79camaro

RC79camaro Veteran Member

If it has the frequency pills, its the older style (still works fine, all the newer stuff is all 2.4 ghz) shouldn't be too hard to find an older style radio, make sure it powers on, swap your pill over and away you go.

5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I used to be into those things. Had a circle track car. Think I had close to $500 in it which was a lot for a 14 year old in 1991.

6. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

the local hobby shop told me around 60 bucks for a remote, then I tried charging the 2 batteries and neither hold much of a charge so there's more $$$
    I did jump the motor to the battery and the car does run. ended up putting it on craigslist and sold it for the 20 bucks I paid for it. buyer has a same era hummer so his stuff should work with the pre runner. on to the next toy. jim