Anybody live in an area with gigabit internet?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ProStreet383, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

May 23, 2007
    MD
    Google, Verizon and comcast now all offer gigabit service (comcast is only 40mbps up though). Liking speed :) I decided to cancel Verizon and resign up HAHA to get new customer price and try out gigabit speeds. Holy jesus is it fast! I shoot 4k drone videos and tinker with them and upload to youtube. Upload a 10GB file in a couple minutes flat. Unreal

[​IMG]

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
  3. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    how much is it? my area is monopolized. 2 companies, spectrum, and att. both charged 70+ dollars a month, one offers 100mb sec, and other offers 30mb sec. but both priced the same.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It is available here, but I have no use for that kind of speed so I haven't looked into it yet.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I'm bouncing off the data limits with 1/4 that speed now. I can't imagine my overage $$ with that speed. Do they cap you at all?

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    There are no data limits here, so that isn't an issue. My internet needs aren't that heavy so I'm probably still years away from wanting gigabit speed. Last I checked, my provider offered gigabit only if you rent the modem from them as they hadn't tested any brands available over the counter. I would prefer to own my modem, so waiting makes sense for me.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I'm waiting on the fiber optic to come in from the telephone company. Right now I have Cox and they are nickle and diming me to death. I cancelled everything but internet last month and they hit me with phantom equipment charges from over a year ago and the like. As soon as Century Link is competitive for reliability I'm out.

8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I'w waiting on fiber optics as well....getting grey waiting though.

9. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Lost
    I live in a small town and verizon stopped short of my street for fiber. My neighbor has it but I cant get it as it is across the street. He literally is the only house in my town with FIOS. its rediculous. Verzion (Century Link) Refuses to run any fiber unless the town foots 100% of the bill the last estimate to outfit the two main roads we have was well over 2million in construction costs. my little town can't foot that bill

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    No data limit on FIOS here, Dave. I'm still at 50mbps because I'm a tightwad.:) Does well enough.

I feel like for lots of rural America, 5G and/or millimeter wave tech will be where it's at for high speed internet. First the companies have to be broken down about data limits though... IMO, there's just no way it will ever be practical/cost effective to drop to wire to every house that's 1/2 mile apart. Unless the gov pays for it like TVA electrification, for instance. I feel like wireless will be a better overall investment, though.