Anybody using ELECTRIC tankless hotwater heaters?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Fbird, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm doing a bath reno...as well as a HALF house (currently) re-pipe (due to polybutylene). I will be feeding 2 full baths. My question/concern is should i install 1 3-4 gpm ELECTRIC tankless to run these 2 baths? or will a 6 gpm run the entire house? (maybe a pr of 4.5's?)
    3 1/2 bath house dishwasher, kitchen, washing machine?

Any REAL WORLD experience here would be helpful. I have plenty of breakers left...(like my check book..lol)

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would think unless room is the concern there are much better ways to heat water then an ELECTRIC, tankless, we have only installed gas ones , and they make some sense, if room is an issue , as they can save some money , the electric ones are more efficient , however less in savings and can be a hit when they actuate as the are 100 AMPS 240 , if you have 3 phase maybe add a little more saving , over 3 - 30 amp breakers , you are , perhaps starting with a higher inlet water temp, so that helps , in NY the water is cold , Also there is some saving in plumbing as some will use a smaller one for a remote bathroom so they are not running a hot line across the entire house to safe on costs for heating water , that sometimes never makes it to the faucet before it is turned off HA HA , so I guess no real world help , just a bunch of questions, sorry!!

3. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Can't help, we don't install them.
    I do get mixed reviews from customers who have them.
    Talk to people who have them.
    Got to be sized correctly. They may supply endless hot water, but maybe not if more than x amount of faucets used at same time. Water savers or not in showerheads change gpm also.
    Good luck.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've looked at these for two decades now, and the electric ones don't seem to deliver as promised. Plus savings has ended up nil or actually increased energy and water cost- they found those who have endless hot water tend to use endless hot water.
    If you are after energy ($) savings, you might look at heat pump water heaters. They also provide a slight AC effect in their installed location, since they pull heat from the air to heat the water- should be a net positive in the South, whether it's in your house or garage.

5. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I put a Steibel Eltron in the water feed for my wife's Japanese soaking tub. That kind of tub is supposed to be drained every time it gets used, and so when filling it from our natural gas 40 gallon hot water heater, she would have to turn off the tap 3 times, and wait 20 or 30 minutes for the water tank to get hot, before resuming filling.

The Steibel did put an end to that - it supplies continuous hot water - but the flow seems a bit reduced. I thought the fittings were kind of small when I plumbed it in, not the 3/4" I would have expected. I asked a builder friend about it, he said that's a common complaint with at least the Steibels(he otherwise liked that brand), if not most on demand water heaters.

SteibelEltron.jpg

6. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

I have a Titan N-120 for a 3/2 house. Have not installed it yet but can let you know how it works.

7. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

I have a friend who owns his own construction company. He is very reputable and knowledgable. He won't install them. He says to go with a traditional tank.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Son put in one, draws 50 amps at 240v when running. Won't supply one shower, even with a saver shower head, when the inlet water temp is 58 degrees. If you put in an electric heater make sure it's way over sized, maybe double the expected flow. Really not worth the expense for normal household use I think. What happens when the heat exchanger gets insulated by mineral build up inside the coils? No normal water supply is clean enough to prevent this that I know of.

9. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

I run a small electric unit (Rheem RTE 13, 4GPM) out in the garage. When I built it I wasn't really thinking and only ran a cold line. Hindsight I tell ya...

It's perfect for washing up but I wouldn't use it for more than one faucet. That said our water is probably a few degrees colder in Western Canada than in GA. It works great in the summer however in the winter I can't open the faucet fully otherwise I get lukewarm water. Hope that helps.

10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, when I bought it, it was strongly recommended I add a filter to the inlet side. That's the blue and white cylindrical thing hanging down from the lower copper run. It does have to be replaced periodically.