Anyone able to extract broken bolts from heads?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by SavingTheBird76, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SavingTheBird76

SavingTheBird76 Veteran Member

I have three running motors..all three need heads,one doesn't accept headers only expensive manifolds,one is a sludge monster,one has 2 broken exhaust studs...
    The $1500 crate motor is looking better each day.
    I just hate to scrap running engines...something is just not right here.

2. gregs78cam

gregs78cam Member

Ways I have done it.....

Grind off what ever you can/need to, to get a good flat surface. Center punch the bolt. Start with a 1/8" Left hand drill and drill completely through the remaining bolt. Soak inside and out with WD40, PB, even alcohol can work sometimes. Heating it can help sometimes too. Then, using a 5/16 Left hand dill bit, drill on LOW(for torque), spin it up and holding it good and straight, jam it hard to the bolt. A lot of times the instant torque and a good sharp drill will grab and turn it out. I have taken a lot of broken bolts/studs out that way. If not it is good and lubed up, Drill though with the 5/16 and peel out the remaining thread.

With larger thread sizes, I have even used a cutting torch to heat the bolt untill it glows good and hot and just hit the OXY lever for split second and the bolt will just disappear, leaving the threads intact.

3. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

You're a brave man lol

4. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What type of bit works best on drilling out easy out. Man I had the stud drilled through and I should have just drilled the rest and retapped. This is on an aluminum head exhaust stud.

5. Jimmy9294

Jimmy9294 Member

Before you drill it file the top flat so that when you punch it your right in the center, if your off to the side it makes it hard with an easy out.

6. markw

markw Veteran Member

You're not going to drill out an easy-out. They are very hard (which makes them very brittle and prone to snapping off). If you have a steady hand you could try a Dremel tool with a carbide bit to grind it out but you could very easily ruin the threads. It might be time to cut your losses and pull the head and take it to a pro. At the very minimum you need a Bridgeport mill and a carbide bit. A good shop will have an EDM machine to burn it out.

7. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The head is off. I plan to take it to a pro tomorrow. Thanks.

8. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

^ good plan, all the described procedures are much easier to do with the head fastened in place and using a drill press instead of trying to hand-drill straight.