Anyone know where I can find the upper and lower door panel

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by stephen miller, Aug 11, 2019.

1. stephen miller

stephen miller New Member

It is for my 1972 Camaro, RS, The have white seats and white door panels. I can find the midsection in white but the upper rail and the lower portion I can't find in white. I know i can paint or dye the top but the lower has the map pocket which would make it really hard to do. I like to find both in white if i could, anyone know where i can find them?

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is extremely difficult to find an original version of the lower section in good condition. You can look on Ebay, but even if you do find one, it will be very expensive. Most of the plastics have been sun-baked and scratched/marred over time. If you do find a good one, you can re-paint it or cover it in vinyl. Painting it wont be hard ... just remember to do a few light base coat, then dust on top of that.

OER reproduces the lower panels and it includes the clips, but I can't vouch for how well it fits. (I dont see any negative reviews of it, so thats a good sign.)
    https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1972/chevrolet/camaro/parts/9600955.html

I think for the 72, the upper panel has two pieces
    https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1972/chevrolet/camaro/parts/k77201.html

and this
    https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1972/chevrolet/camaro/parts/k302.html

Basic Door panel info and some pics are here:
    http://nastyz28.com/2gcog/doorpanel.html

3. Scrappy1980

Scrappy1980 New Member

thanks for the ideas, my only concern going white over black a scratch and it is back to black. Also is there a secret to spraying in side the bottom panel map pocket. That is the area that concerns me the most.

4. CDesperado

You can use a grey primer... then put white paint on top of that. I wouldn't be too concerned with it - the odds are you wont be driving the car too much, and when you do, you and your passengers would likely be very careful in the car.

And if someone knicks it, you can always spray a little paint on some cardboard, then use a small q-tip or 1/8" paintbrush to do a touchup.
    And if someone really just muffs things up, just remove it and re-spray it.

By the way, the Clear Coat adds nice protection. I used SEM Satin Gloss on everything so that it has a slight shine to it, but some people prefer a flatter finish, so use SEM Matte Clear Coat.

5. Scrappy1980

Scrappy1980 New Member

thanks again for the tips, have not even thought about a clear coat but I will be using that idea.

6. CDesperado

Clear Coat definitely is a great idea.

One side note... if it's super humid outside (say above 65%), then you may want to wait until a different day to spray the clear coat. I vaguely remember doing clear coat one day in the afternoon and it was either too hot or too humid and the clear came out "dusty". After that, I always made sure I did the clear coat in the morning when the temperature was more reasonable.

Happy I could help :)