Anyone want to weigh in on the Dallas cop convicted today?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by shanghai Kid, Oct 1, 2019.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bad mistake, I do not believe she gave commands. She was afraid and acted on control is my beliefs.

I’m indifferent towards her sentence. I’m glad she didn’t walk though. I was an officer for a few years, just feel she should be held to higher standards than a regular person.

Bad choice after bad choice. Atleast try and administer CPR. It’s impossible to do CPR while on phone using 1 hand or whatever she claimed

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Ya say there was no plan to kill him.

I am not completely sure about that. We were not there and we did not live there or associate with either one of them.
    She seemed to have a plan in place after shooting the guy.
    That almost seems thought through..but maybe that is training.

I feel there is a lot more to the story that will never come out.

3. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What was the specific verdict? "Murder" seems wide, clearly it wasn't Murder 1, Murder 2? Felony Murder? Maybe they don't have these distinctions in TX? According to some articles, the jury was given the option to consider manslaughter instead of murder (or acquittal obviously), so they had a measure of control based on the testimony they heard. And they came back quickly, so...
    Apparently the penalty for the verdict is 5-99 years, which sounds like some felony-murder-ish kind of charge.
    Wait, what? Are you arguing that murder would have been on the table if she was the one shot, but shouldn't have been because she was a cop?
    I truly appreciate that, and believe that the majority of officers also take the responsibility seriously. She apparently put up stuff like this online-
    If this was her mindset, I don't want someone that flippant on the butt end of any gun, frankly.

dave@ztech and 80sz like this.
  4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Wow , my jaw hit floor after I read that. That’s a red flag in my book

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not sure where you got that other than looking for a "gotcha" instead of discussing the issue. No I'm saying if it was two regular folk the murder charge wouldn't have been brought, just manslaughter. Cops are under the magnifying glass. The real facts are almost always overshadowed the dead perps relatives and TV talking heads telling us the cops should have known even though Jr had a gun and pointed it at the popo the cop should have know he's a good kid and "would never have pulled the trigger"

Now before we put any more words or thoughts in my mouth I agree she screwed up in multiple ways. All kinds of red flags for me. Wrong apartment, door was open etc...Bottom line I think she felt enabled to charge into the apartment because she was armed/trained. I don't know how it works for all officers but when my cat sets off my alarm Maricpoa's finest wait until there is at least two of them to clear my house. It's suspect that she went in alone IMO. This is still manslaughter, not murder. I agree it would be nice of the news to define what murder they are talking about since there are usually multiple degrees.

IMO, people see things differently based on their personal experiences.

Everyone has a bad day and rants. I have no idea if that's a pattern or a singled out rant after a crap day. It's all the rage to find one or two things a person posted years back and label them for it, just ask Carson King. If it's truly her demeanor then she didn't deserve the badge, but that alone doesn't change it from manslaughter to murder.

Dave Nelson and Shizzle like this.
  6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

"Wait, what?" seeks clarification. Thanks for giving it.

She went into the apt. with intent to kill. Didn't call for backup, didn't even pause long enough to clarify where she was. After she shot him, she's on record on the 911 call worrying about her career. Couldn't be bothered to administer CPR.

And keep in mind the jury had the option to move it down to manslaughter, so their hand wasn't forced to murder or nothing. And they chose murder in < 6 hours. That tells me what I need to know.

From the prosecutor's closing argument (y'all got me reading now)-

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you sure about that? I thought I heard the local drones saying they jury wasn't given that option and the prosecutor was taking a risk because of it.

Edit: You're right, and yes that does carry weight for me too. I'm thankful I wasn't on that jury.

"Prosecutors told jurors that a guilty murder verdict is appropriate in the case, even though manslaughter, which carries a two- to 20-year prison sentence on conviction, is a charge the jury can consider. Manslaughter is defined as when a person “recklessly causes the death of another individual,” according to Texas law."

8. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

how can you walk into someone elses apt and think its yours????

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

That emotionless dry-eyed crying stint on the stand probably didn't help her case any I suspect. Her lawyers should have coached her better. I guess we'll never know the whole/real story.

10. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

First sentence is spot on! I was on a Jury a few weeks ago and the Cliff Notes are: One Black dude kills another Black dude. Both had been friends until one's GF decided that she liked the other guy better. Much drama ensued ending with the first guy stabbing the second guy and slashing his throat. Then engaging in post-mortem genital mutilation. TWO WEEK trial with evidence of guilt all along IMO. Deliberation took TWO DAYS with two first-timers holding out to the last second before the rest of us convinced them. They didn't understand that "beyond a reasonable doubt" didn't mean "beyond ALL doubt"!

Malice Murder, Felony Murder, Felony Aggravated Assault. Guilty on all counts. NOW after the trial was over the lawyers on both sided asked for the jury to talk with them (commonly done). As it turned out the killer CONFESSED to the murder but that evidence was NOT presented to the jury because the perp hadn't been read his rights at that time!

TWO WEEKS of BS I had to sit through (now my FIFTH Jury)!All the other Jurors were first-timers except one guy that had served ONCE before! Like herding cats to keep them focused on facts and evidence instead of an endless string of "what-ifs".They wanted to make me "Foreperson" but I politely declined. Thought it better for another person to deliver the bad news.

dave@ztech likes this.