Anyone want to weigh in on the Dallas cop convicted today?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by shanghai Kid, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

"Prosecutors told jurors that a guilty murder verdict is appropriate in the case, even though manslaughter, which carries a two- to 20-year prison sentence on conviction, is a charge the jury can consider. Manslaughter is defined as when a person “recklessly causes the death of another individual,” according to Texas law."

That sounds to me the prosecutor was trying to put in their mind what they should come up with.
    Also if the demographics of the jury weren’t the same as the officers, their decision was made before the trial.

2. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I found the "castle" defense interesting - it seems like one should have to be in their own castle for that to work.

Her social media posts certainly didn't help her(do they ever help anyone?).

When I used to read law books(in high school I wanted to go to law school), the "premeditation" part of premeditated murder has no specific time element involved. It can be as short as a split second. Just because she didn't enter the apartment with the intent of killing Jean, doesn't mean she didn't have murderous intent when she pulled the trigger. I'm not seeing only a manslaughter charge if she pulled her gun, pointed it at him, and fired. That's either self defense or murder. If Jean didn't charge her, or pull a gun or knife of his own(or some other deadly weapon), I don't see self defense.

Looks like there is a lot of latitude in a murder sentence in Texas.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7525717/White-cop-Amber-Guyger-GUILTY-murder.html

"They said she had non-lethal tools on her service belt at the time, including a stun gun and pepper spray"

"In Texas, the sentence for murder is from five to 99 years in prison. The state does not officially use the term first-degree murder."

3. shanghai Kid

shanghai Kid Veteran Member

Lead prosecutor Jason Hermus, a former police officer himself noted that Guyger shot Jean directly in the chest, right where she was trained as a police officer to shoot.

"When you aimed and pulled the trigger at Mr. Jean — shooting him in center mass right where you are trained — you intended to kill Mr. Jean?" he asked.

"I did," she said.------It's unbelievable that her counsel would allow her to answer yes to intending to kill Mr. Jean when the premise of her entire defense was based on making a terrible mistake.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I read that also, but they do distinguish capital murder, with possible sentences of life in prison or death penalty. It would appear the prosecutor didn’t go for that here.

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

carr911 likes this.
  6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know man, if someone shot my brother I might even buy them a beer. :eek:

7. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

on mistaking apartments, if you never walked around a human habitrail complex where every door and entrance looks the same it's pretty easy especially if your tired, drunk or whatever.
    happened to a coworker, he was getting ready for work at 3 am when some drunk chick comes stumbling into his apartment. He yelled at her and told her to leave, she stumbled around and realized she was on the wrong wing of the apartments. she lived 1 row over. jim

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

If that was a TV movie they would have wound up married and living happily ever after.

72BIGBLOCK, carr911 and BillyDean7173 like this.
  9. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Was she at least hot? :crazy:

10. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the apts might structually be the same but the furniture or paintings or tv/stereo console is not going to look the same at all. She saw him... why wouldnt she see the furnishings in the apt and go duuuuuuuuuuuh