Anyone want to weigh in on the Dallas cop convicted today?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by shanghai Kid, Oct 1, 2019.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

During the trial it was stated that the victims apartment was the only one with a red floor mat in the hall in front of his door. It was said you couldn’t miss it, even in the dark. Never heard what the defense said about that.

2. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just a terrible story all around. Jean is dead, Guyger's life is a wreck, all over a simple dumb mistake.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  3. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Remember Guys, when looking for a partner, look at her Mother to see what she will look like in a few years! Amber is 31, here is her Mom! Amber might look like this when her sentence is up!

[​IMG]

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

But what was HER mistake?...working a double shift...being so f*cking worn out she didn't even evaluate the surroundings because she was in "autopilot". I get 100% of that....up to I have a gun and am about to use it I don't even really know WTF i am.......THATS the difficulty I HAVE with it. I do not think MURDER was correct (but i also do NOT know all the legal definitions required) but the entire thing SUX.
    Young man is dead, she i jacket up KNOWING she killed this 100000% innocent man ..and there is absolutely NOTHING she can do but sit and wait. to see her fate.
    Horrible accident that should NOT have happened. but it did.

My first ? here... maybe I missed it somewhere... but how did she enter HIS apartment?.... Her key coincidentally fit HIS LOCKED DOOR?

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The door was not close all the way. Not sure why about this. She pushed it open and saw him in there and start shooting.

I would hate to use the double shift thing as an excuse-reason. If that's true and valid, the only solution is to A: no more double shifts or B: the police can't take their guns home when the leave the precinct s they can't be trusted with them.

6. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I read that she was going to the gym afterwards- forget the link. I question how tired she really was. She simply acted on impulse. I think she had an opportunity to be a hero and acted on it.

Purely speculation. From reading messages and such.

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I agree on the level of mercy by the family. Nothing will bring the victim back. He is dead, the former officer has a ruined life and a bunch of people are protesting the sentence. It will be worse for her being a former police officer.

8. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

it was an accident

9. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

I don't know the law but think a murder charge/conviction seems excessive. Texas has degrees of murder.
    https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.19.htm
    She parked on the wrong floor after working 13 hours. Residents have stated that the 3rd and 4th floors are hard to differentiate. The apartment door locks are known to not be reliable. Residents have stated they have walked into other people's apartments with unlatched doors. The lead Texas rangers investigator recommended no (or lesser) charges, but wasn't allowed to give testimony in front of the jury. It's been suggested that the judge was somewhat less than partial in favor of the prosecution.
    Since this is white on black, it was guaranteed that charges would be filed.
    Police are trained these days to shoot first and shoot to kill.

For comparison, let's think about the DFW TX kid who killed four people when driving smashed. The defense was that he was rich (really--look up affluenza teen or Ethan Couch https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=V7SWXc-LJ8PYsQWtsKiwBg&q=affluenza+teen&oq=affluen&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.0i273j0i67l5j0i131j0j0i131j0i67.2379.5952..9080...0.0..0.83.451.7....2..0....1..gws-wiz.......0i228j0i131i67.mc8NLgvFAho)
    He got probation.
    We have a strange system when the law is perverted by politics.

73 Z and Dave Nelson like this.
  10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Couch didn't deliberately shoot those 4 people. Killing people while driving under the influence is serious, but I see it as manslaughter - reckless behavior, but no deliberate intent to harm. Pointing a loaded gun at someone and pulling the trigger is definitely intent to harm. To me, at least.