Apollo 11 engines found

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Dirt Reynolds, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pretty cool. :cool:

A secret underwater expedition led by Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has located and recovered pieces from what they believe are the three engines that launched the 1969 Apollo 11 mission on its way to the Moon.

"We found so much," Bezos wrote in an update on the Bezos Expeditions website on Wednesday. "We’ve seen an underwater wonderland — an incredible sculpture garden of twisted F-1 engines that tells the story of a fiery and violent end, one that serves testament to the Apollo program. We photographed many beautiful objects in situ and have now recovered many prime pieces. Each piece we bring on deck conjures for me the thousands of engineers who worked together back then to do what for all time had been thought surely impossible."

Thrust chamber of F-1 rocket engine, Apollo 11:

[​IMG]

Apollo 11 engines recovered from ocean floor.

2. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

Cool! so i guess there going to preserve it.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wouldn't the lower stages from all of the moon shots be in relatively the same place in the ocean?

Same rocket platform/design, same target (moon) and approximately the same launch trajectory... Right?
    Is there a model number on them to tell which mission it came from?

Cool find no matter which mission they are from. :cool:

Now... What do you do with them?

4. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    That is cool! I'd love to be on the crew recovering the pieces.

5. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Sand blast them and paint them. I don't like the aged patina.

6. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

I was about [ ] that close to getting involved in recovering the shuttle boosters after launches. A friend of mine got involved in the company that was outsourced to do it for NASA and he was looking for recovery divers which I am certified in. Much shallower water. I just couldn't get the pay scale to work for me and there were no health benefits so I didn't do it. Glad I didn't cause now I'd be unemployed :screwup:

Anyway, I was reading that story and they have enough pieces to coble up together 2 full rockets. They have several pieces but with the velocity they hit and the 40 years underwater, that has taken a toll. Also with the corrosion and destruction, the serial numbers are either partial or gone so they say it'll be hard to figure out which missions they were used in. So yes there are a lot of pieces down there but it's not like they are pulling up full blown stage 1 rockets intact. Not to mention they are working at 14,000 below the surface. To give you an idea, the Titanic lays at 12,500. So these are way deep and the equipment and time needed are enormous to make such recoveries. I read that NASA technically still owns these. Bezos is restoring two (so far) and he wants one to go up to the Museum of Flight (Seattle) and NASA wants to put the other in the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in DC.

7. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

No, they are going to be the Rat Rods of the spacecraft world.

8. jhead55

jhead55 Veteran Member

I thought all the moon shots were fake.

9. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We have a couple of hardcore Capricorn One tinfoil hatters at work. Problem with that theory is the NASA Lunar Recon Orbiter took pics of the various Apollo landings sites a few years ago, and NASA posted them on its' website. I showed the link to the hardcores at work, and they changed the subject. :screwup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Russians followed the trajectory of all the Apollo missions. If there were any fakeroo low-Earth orbit stuff going on, the Russians would have been only too happy to expose that to the world, since they lost the space race over the original moon landing. However, they were the first to congratulate the United States after the first Apollo landing in 1969. ;)

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Awsome link...thanks for sharing.