Appraise This Car

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Z28Restoration, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Z28Restoration

Z28Restoration New Member

hi, dont know much about these old cars.
    Can you guys appraise this car using these pictures and what i know below?
    - Car does Run and Drives (drives with a slight sway?)
    - was Half Ass "Restored" and Painted (as you an see) some things are new some arent, even some of the things you cant see are new but some are

Attached Files:

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe $10-12,000? I wouldn't guess much more than that. It looks to be in pretty good shape based on the first set of pics that you posted. (A really clean car in better shape could go for $20-25,000, etc)

So we are looking at a 1979 Z28. A few issues I can see
    • How many miles are on the car?
    • How many owners?
    • What condition are the tires in? How old are they?
    • What area of the country is this from?
    • That doesnt look like the original fan shroud - do you know what mods were made for the engine?
    • Do you have other pictures of the engine bay?
    • Does it have the original tranny?
    • Can you take pictures inside the trunk and of the frame rails under the car?
    • Driver's side door panel has a screw in the lower left corner that shouldnt be there. There may be one on the lower right side too, but I cant tell for sure.
    • Wheels seem oddly bright blue to me - I assume this was an after-market paint job? If so, it doesnt appear to be a very high quality one. Id want to know who did it and when? (Was it done by a shop or in someone's garage, etc)
    • Taillights look odd - maybe they are just faded, or its the camera angle. My guess is they need to be replaced
    • That Lower dash and part of the upper dash were painted blue (Or maybe wrapped in vinyl?). You may want to replace that later. It looks like the upper dash is badly cracked
    • The steering wheel and center cap are wrong
    • Those arent the correct seats (But they look good)
    Post more pics if you have them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Original a/c but firewall has been smoothed in that area, heater removed also. Depending on rust condition, I would be about 1/2 of above estimate. IMHO

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

And how much rust does the car have Its a fisher body so its bound to have some. I would have knowledgeable friend look at the car.Even put it on lift as well. Because you could get "googoo" eyes about the car and miss stuff. The finial decision is yours .But there are other cars out there if you have any worries about this one .Good luck to you .

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not sure it's a Z28... Wrong steering wheel and gauge bezel insert.
    Dash pad looks to need replacing.
    Vent controls in kick panel on passenger side says non-A/C yet control panel (and the entire dash) is from an A/C car and there's no A/C (or heat) under the hood.

If it's completely rust free... It's probably worth $5-6k. (If it's actually a Z28.)

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm with Twisted on the estimate, that is weird to have knobs for vent doors on an a/c car. unless someone replaced kick panels with whatever they could find. Lower dash is ugly as h-ll. If it has a sway then I'm thinking it is going to need some suspension parts replaced, many people throw a coat of paint on and disregard all the wear parts in the suspension. 40 year old car, all those bushings and ball joints need a good looking over. Good point on where is the car from, history on it and what does the frame rails and floor pan look like. $5-6K is where I am at with picks provided.