Are power brakes needed for high HP cars??

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by QUAKE_WARS, Mar 6, 2019.

1. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Power brakes it is :D
    Of course with inline tube all SS stuff.

BHU.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Cali, I can agree to this also. I cant even get it to go over 85
    without sounding like im going to blow it up lol. under 70MPH this baby will stop very easy. Never tried to lock it up either. I have hit them hard and never locked up the front runners.:screwup:

sandy 251.jpg

3. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor

Good points above from both sides. At UMI we use manual brakes on our race cars and power boosted brakes on street cars. The manual systems are well designed don't really lack anything performance-wise. We don't have to worry about vacuum with more aggressive engines and the manual stuff is easier to modulate. Our power 2010 Camaro SS with Brembos takes a lot of finesse to drive smoothly...

With that being said, a well designed power setup can be beyond awesome.

I guess that didn't help much.

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Well to answer the question are power brakes needed for high HP cars the answer to that is absolutely not. But a properly designed manual brake system is critical if going that route. Case in point - BMW factory race cars like the M4 use manual brakes for the reasons stated above - easier to modulate, more consistent, not dependent on engine vacuum or even on the engine running at all to operate safely.

But are they the best choice for a street cruiser with a stock LS motor ? Not in my opinion. I would Go with power for that application personally.

My second gen has manual and I’ve had track and race cars with both - when designed right there isn’t that much difference honestly.

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice looking setup. I have the same master cylinder but mounted to the stock booster. I have my prop valve mounted just under the front edge of the driver's seat for easy reach without having to get out and pop the hood. Only drawback is that the hard lines come up through the floor under the seat and go back out through the floor to the rear brakes, so there is a slight potential of having brake fluid in the cockpit with you.

6. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

That may not pass a DOT inspection. But then again a lot of the things we do to these hot rods wouldn’t !

John Wright likes this.
  7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here is a post with pictures of what I did way back then.
    My 70 RS/SS 350