ASE Testing

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by camarolife78, Nov 2, 2016.

1. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

Who here has taken any of the ASE tests? Which one did you think was hardest? I just took the L3 test last night after work, and yea, that one I would consider the hardest for me so far. I was mentally cooked last night after that one!

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

It's been about 5 or 6 yrs for me (mine are all expired) but it was the automatic transmissions.
    Easiest was the parts.

3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've got A1 thru A8, hardest was probably auto trans the first time I took it. Haven't done any of the L tests yet.

The A recerts are easy, I did all 8 over the summer and was in and out of the test center in an hour.

4. kdracer73

kdracer73 Veteran Member

I have A-1 - 8 and L1. Have not attempted the Hybrid yet.

5. camarolife78

Only reason I took the L3 hybrid was because my shop is a AAA shop, and for the to recommend us for a tow with hybrids is to have someone L3 certified. So, I said why not lol. (plus I get a pay raise...lol)

6. Mike N

Since I have all 8 of the A tests, we get to be an "AAA Approved" shop, too.

I don't know about Kansas, but the part of NY I'm in AAA subs their towing out since they don't have their own fleet of tow trucks. So naturally, any shop with a truck that AAA calls can take the car wherever they want..... and you know it's like the showcase showdown on The Price Is Right, where you can bid or pass. All they wind up bringing us is flat repairs and other garbage work that other shops don't want.

7. camarolife78

It's hit or miss for us as far as AAA goes. I do not know how it is set up in Kansas. The members do get a 10% discount on repairs...I know that. We see an OK amount of AAA members come through, either via tow or recommendations, but not a huge amount. I don't know if it is worth the membership on our end? Might just be one of those things that people who are not members see that we are affiliated with them, and a few other things and it makes most of our customer base feel comfortable I think.

8. Mike N

Being an AAA approved shop is more of a pain in the a$$ than anything else. The tow truck drivers will drop the cars on us and tell the customer that we can fix it right away and they can get a huge discount because they're AAA members.

Well, once you tell the customer that we can't drop everything for you and need to work you in and it costs money to fix cars, they get irrational and call AAA or the 1-800 piss & moan corporate number to complain and it becomes more of a headache.