Auto to manual swap - will manual trans set up from chevelle swap over?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by rhende454, Apr 30, 2018.

1. rhende454

rhende454 New Member

I have a 71 which I swapped out the TH350 for a 700r. Hate it. May go back to TH350 but I have a line on a 68 el camino parts car with a full 4spd set up in it (pedals, muncie, etc). Parts car is a big block, my car is a small block. Anybody know if the el camino (I assume same as Chevelle) set up will swap over to gen 2 Camaro?

I'm sure there will be a lot of questions on why replace the 700r rather than fix it. It was just not built right, has never worked right and I've spent tons of time trying to troubleshoot with no success. I can either have it re-rebuilt (again), go back to TH350, or go to the trouble and expense of swapping to a manual. I much prefer the manual route but buying the whole set up new is cost prohibitive.

Thanks for any info/advice/suggestions/insights.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Most of it should fit .But the pedals .the Z-bar and mounting bracket might be different.And if you still have your original drive shaft with the Turbo 350 yoke or use the yoke off the El Camino depending the year of the Muncie.The later ones use the Turbo 400 /Super T-10 type yoke. Chevies are nice that way.

3. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

What is it about the 700R you don't like?

4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

if the pedal box doesn't work, although I suspet it will, you can add the third pedal to your existing peal box. Zbar is probably ddiferent but everything else shoul work.

5. SH74OUR

SH74OUR Veteran Member

What Muncie trans does this 68 El Camino have? M-20 wide ratio or the M-21 close ratio?

Your rear end gear ratio will determine what Muncie 4 gear you might want to locate. M-21 likes to be matched with a 3.73 gear or higher.

The 68 A body shifter body and lever may not work or be situated in the right position in relation to the trans hump. Are you using a center console?

4 speed swaps are a fun and you learn lots.

6. 4-speed

4-speed Member

Pedals and linkage will not work. Bellhousing, clutch and transmission will.