Autocross/Road Race 1979 Camaro Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by OutrunNAScaR14, Sep 21, 2017.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is that SBC still living between the frame rails of the red camaro? Will you also run a SBC in the new to you camaro?

2. OutrunNAScaR14

OutrunNAScaR14 Member

Yeah it's a 360ci sbc. The new one will either be a SB2 or LS3.

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Very nice!
    That's a trip how you made the bracket for your third link inside the cabin. Mine is just a crossbar that looks like an inverted transmission mount which barely peeks out above the Driveline hump. Buy a happy coincidence that made a great place to tie in the hoop support bars. Looks like you spent money in the right places like those Penske shocks you got in the front. I was on the fence about getting those for mine but wound up with the ridetech / Fox ones instead.
    As far as that 34 out of a hundred for engineering I think you are the victim of a little bit of prejudice there. You weren't on the bandwagon and supporting their sponsors for a few of those points.
    How do you like the spline front sway bar? Is it something worth switching over to or did you go to it because of packaging concerns?

4. OutrunNAScaR14

OutrunNAScaR14 Member

Thanks Dave. You are 100% right on the Design and Engineering portion. The series is very political when it comes to that. D&E is a way the series can determine who places where, no matter how well you perform.

But I got that sway bar idea straight from my circle track cars. Very simple and straight forward on the fabrication side. You can change the bar in just a few minutes and have a wide variety of bars for cheap by buying used from local late model stock car racers. I ran a big bar, small spring setup on this car and it worked excellent.

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just out of curiosity, what rate are you calling a "small spring"? I have found that this varies greatly with opinion...LOL

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

No doubt. The roundy round guys run some serious spring rates sometimes.

I actually entertained the idea of adding weight jackers to my car at one point. Lots of cool stuff available for our cars can be sourced from circle track.

Lord knows, lots of second gen Camaros finished their lives on a circle track.

John Wright likes this.