B-Pillar Ver. A or B?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Vincent Tesla, May 12, 2019.

1. Vincent Tesla

Vincent Tesla New Member

Hello,

This is my first post, thank you for having me. I look through the site before asking on the forum but I cannot seem to find my specific answer. I have procured 2 different types of B-Billar's for my 81'. The first I got from Fbodywarehouse it came as a pair for the left and right door (Looks like a single blade with no grooves or extra molding). The second set I got from a private seller (it has grooves to put the weather strip in I believe). It seems that the ones I got from FBODY are not a two piece part per door. How am I suppose to be installing this? Should I install the ones from FBODY by themselves or do I need to have 2 pillars per door?

Pictures will make more sense.
    (Do they go together?)
    IMG-20190509-WA0020.jpeg

Do I only use 1 of the sets?

20190512_134245.jpg
    Which set should I use Ive seen it so many different ways?
    20190512_134230.jpg

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You need both pieces. I have some reference pics I can post later, which shows you exactly how these two pieces fit together and are mounted to the car. There is a small L shaped piece that is about 1.25" on each side, which you should have too, which fit into the top corner of the door. (The 90 degree angle at the top of the roof line)

You are also going to need some thin weather stripping and some weather strip adhesive.

Vincent Tesla likes this.
  3. CDesperado

4. CDesperado

Oh, and you can use dum-dum or foam rubber for the gasket between the metal and the body of the car.

[​IMG]

5. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Just to better clarify what has been posted already, the cast pieces with a single lip are a decorative garnish moulding. Part of the Style Trim Group option. Not all Camaros used them and they serve no real function other than decoration except on vinyl top cars where they help secure the vinyl to the B pillar.
    The stamped stainless pieces are obviously part of the 3 piece weatherstrip channel and you definitely need those... I suggest using 1" wide double sided foam tape as a seal between the body and garnish moulding which is secured separately to the body with countersunk head screws (lip toward the rear of the car). Then use another piece of the double sided foam tape between the weather strip channel and the garnish moulding and more screws that go through both pieces into the body. There are several variations of both the garnish mouldings and the weatherstrip channels so test fitting the pieces before applying the foam tape is strongly suggested... :bowtie:

Smokey15 likes this.