Backfiring and no power

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by WiggyB31, Sep 26, 2019.

1. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

All this timing and valve adjustment confusion is mind boggling. This used to be basic stuff that any high school drop out could understand. I can't tell if those are flat top pistons or not. I would check the deck height and if it isn't 0 decked I would ditch the thick head gasket and run shim gaskets like the factory did. If it is 0 decked then those Fel Pro gaskets would be perfect.

Maybe the cam installation should be double checked so might as well see what's under the timing cover. If the dots line up it should be close enough to run fine. Degreeing the cam is the preferred way if you have the time, especially if the cam is unknown. If the cam is unknown I would seriously consider doing some cam shopping. Then adjust the valves, drop the dist in correctly and enjoy.

hubedobeedo and WiggyB31 like this.
  2. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

When you pull the cam, take a good look at the cam lobes.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

4. cadillac_al

Well that's a new one for me. I have heard lots of lifter ticks and carb popping but I have never heard that kind of popping. That's coming out the carb? It definitely sounds like a mechanical/metallic metal on metal tapping slower than the rpm's. It must be a cam or valvetrain problem. BUMMER! I'll have a drink for you.

5. cadillac_al

I really hate to question another man's valve adjustment but I think a severely mis-adjusted valve train could cause your issues too. I'm hoping that metalic sound isn't a valve kissing a piston. So you got your heads back, everything was ok so that is a plus, have you installed them yet?

6. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

Well I haven't reinstalled the heads yet im going to change ot the cam since im already there. My dad has a general kenitics cam he got a while back and it's just been sitting in the closet. Once I get it all back together I'll update the thread. Should be early next week since I have to drive to VA this weekend and get the cam.

7. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

That's what I paid the performance shop to do. Lesson learned so I'll do it myself this time.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. cadillac_al

I just saw this video recently. It makes perfect sense to me and is a lot simpler than the IOEC method that I have used all my life.

9. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

This idea a very good video and my lifters should be in today. First thing I was going to do was soak them like my dad taught me. Not any more I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the heads up.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

20191013_201112.jpg 20191013_201104.jpg 20191013_193955.jpg So got the water pump and cover off today. Remember how I was saying the timing was 180 out. Well the pics attached will explain why. Notice #1 is up TDC.