Backfiring and no power

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by WiggyB31, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Sorry, maybe my eyesight is not that great. If the crankshaft is at TDC for #1, then why is your cam gear mark at 10 o'clock?
    The mark should be at 12. Do you agree? Also, is that a multi-keyed crank sprocket? If so, is that positioned correctly? Just curious, what positions are your rocker arms in for #1?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    WiggyB31 likes this.
  2. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

That was my problem the entire time everything is off. So im not sure if a lobe is written on the cam or not I'm changing it anyway. Better to be Dave than sorry.

3. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

You should talk to the engine builder to see if they'll reimburse you? And...I'd never go to them again.

4. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

Well I brought the car where the guy said he had just rebuilt it. Then took it to a performance shop so they could double check everything. That's where money was wasted since I have to check them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  5. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Sorry you had such a bad experience. They should run these guys out of the business. Good luck!

WiggyB31 likes this.
  6. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

Thanks but it's cool...... like they say you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

7. WiggyB31

WiggyB31 Member

So took out the cam and lifters today. Not good glad I just said f#@k it and decided to replace them.

Attached Files:

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow... That’s a steaming pile! :eek:

There’s going to be a lot of glitter hiding in every oil passage in that block.

It’s going to take some serious cleaning to even consider using it for another rebuild.

You may want to consider a crate engine (or short block) at this point.

9. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

That is junk. Like mentioned above, it needs to be torn down completely and start over or toss it in the scrap pile and a new short block at minimum. I would not re-use any of the parts including the push rods or the oil pump. In the video it almost sounds like the oil pump inst working. Saw it once years ago on a dodge 318 where the distributor shaft wasn't long enough to engage the oil pump.( this was on a new crate engine--rebuilt actually) the cam turned the dizzy but not the oil pump, why dodge made 318's with different shaft lengths baffles me,but anyway...) It made that exact sound in your video as far as I can tell. We pulled the valve covers and noticed zero oil at the rockers and shut it down. Even your cylinder heads now need a bath. maybe a good running used engine is in order.

10. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

So, other than the engine being out of time, what caused the cam to wipe out? Was it a loss of oil pressure. If so, then no doubt the motor is done. I would definitely make those guys pay up. This is going to cost serious money.

WiggyB31 likes this.