Backing/Reverse Light switch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Oldskool62, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

Hello All
    I have a 78 Camaro auto floor shift car.
    At the moment the reverse lights don’t work and I am not sure if they ever did. rhe car is a 350 floor shift; however it may have been a column shift; who knows. The car is fairly stock aside from headers and exhaust which was done by an exhaust place.
    I have gone through my manuals and cannot find where the reversing switch is located and secondly how it works.
    Some help this way would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

when the headers were installed was the back drive linkage taken out? if you don't know what that is, just google 78 camaro backdrive linkage. the neutral safety switch which controls the reverse lights is on the steering column. as the rod moves to the reverse position the lights come on. hopefully that helps.

3. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

Thanks for the reply. It looks like mine was taken out when the headers were fitted. Is there a workaround.

4. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

You can turn the section of the steering column where an auto shifter would be. Just turn it a click clockwise and the reverse lights will come on, unless the PO left it in the neutral position but most of us just leave in the park position.

Oldskool62 and Zstar like this.
  5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

About the only work around's are as stated above turn the section of steering column right below the ign switch slightly to get them to come on, but you cannot be sure you have it in the exact spot needed, or replace the back drive linkage, you can search ebay but rarely do I see one that comes with every single part, usually the frame bushing is not included, I know my linkage worked with headers, don't understand why people trash them when they install header. You can ask on here in swap meet section. I know I had everything but lower rod for my 72, couldn't find exact replacement bought a longer one and cut and welded it to right length, so I'm wondering if these kits really work. You could also just go with a manual switch mounted on or under dash, the wires you need go to a switch mounted on the lower section of the steering column, close to the firewall also you'll see two unused terminals on it those are for automatic cars for the neutral safety. Another workaround is a micro switch, you would have to make a bracket for the micro switch and bolt it onto trans so the reverse lever contacted it, then route your wires down to it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_snap-action_switch

Oldskool62 and hubedobeedo like this.
  6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I created one after installing my headers. The one that was on the car didn’t fit right with the headers. I used some 5/16 round stock welded together. The primer one is the new one. It is from the shifter to the swivel on the frame.

F72CEFC3-C82D-4284-B78E-3727754EF630.jpeg

7. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

thanks guys it’s given me a bit to think about.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Oldskool62 likes this.
  9. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

Thanks very much for that.

10. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

I would like to give making the new rod a go as I want to keep the steering lock etc.