Battery bad from harness?? (HELP)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by z06vette, Jan 28, 2013.

1. z06vette

z06vette Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Shreveport
    My 73 camaro had a new battery in sept. The car has not been driven much at all. I charge the battery about once a week to keep it charged. IT seems to be discharging after a week or so. Yesterday I was charging the battery and noticed the tape wraped cluster of wires near the wiper motor were warm to the touch.These are the wires that go inside the firewall to the fuse box I think. Also the battery would not charge past 60% or start the car. Is this a bad battery or is there some sort of short in the harness that killed the battery? The wires were not hot only warm but I dont think they should even be warm. Any way to check the wireing?? Everything seems to work ok lights blinkers etc. Anyone have any input?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Disconnect the positive battery cable. Put an meter on the amps setting between the disconnected battery cable and the battery. If power is being drained, you will measure it with the meter. You could also use a test light instead of the meter, but it won't tell you as much.

3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Disconnect the battery positive, put an ammeter between it and the battery. Check for current drain. Make sure the door is closed, key out, etc. See what happens.

Charge the battery for a day and take it to a shop to stress test it.

Of course, if the car is driveable, you can take it and have the battery checked. You may get different results.

4. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Some stereos pull power all the time. Pull the fuse on it for a more accurate check on battery drain.

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Clock may draw power, but his problem would be too much drain...or a bad battery.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

that is bad. I'd start there. are those OE wires or something some one added? if oe what are ones are they?

7. z06vette

z06vette Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Shreveport
    They are oem taped.Im not sure which ones were getting warm but it seems they all go to fuse box. Will have to check to be sure. Im still wondering what killed the battery after a few months.could some sort of short in wireing cause the battery to die? Im not sure if the charger being hooked up had anything to do with the wires getting warm. The battery won't charge past 60% nor will it crank the car at 60% charge. Don't want to spend money on new harness but if it comes to that is it difficult to change?? One other thing. I did install an aftermarket cd usb stereo in the car couple months back. Will try to check if it uses power when off.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    A short in the wiring would most likely burn up the wires or blow a fuse of fusable link. If the wires are getting warm, something is drawing current within the ratings of the wires. You need to do the testing stated above to find what is drawing power.

9. camaroclown

camaroclown Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Aston P.A
    sounds like u have weak cells have bat charged and load tested the heat in the wires is from resistance check for bad connection wires joined half ass by taping and twisted together possible fire hazard

10. Biker Beck

Biker Beck Veteran Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Im still having same problem with my 71. No hot wires but battery goes dead every 2-3 days. Brand new battery, alternator, starter, distributor. and it is still draining. Hooked test light in between battery and cable light comes on. I started pulling fuses 1 at a time to narrow down which circuit has a short. pulled all fuses and test light still stays on. I'm stuck!!!!