bbc 427 intake choice

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by alexhenebury, Dec 21, 2015.

1. alexhenebury

alexhenebury Member

Hi all.
    Just had a bbc 427 built.cam is approx 224/234 and 530 lift. 10:1 compression. 750 holley.4 speed.
    I had limited hood clearance and ended up using an old holley street dominator which is a low rise single plane intake 300-3. supposedly idle to 5500.
    Now Ive changed engine mounting brackets I have room to fit a chevrolet performance intake low rise dual plane:( nothing else-not even a performer):
    http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/n ... /chevrolet
    Its used on the anniversary 427 which revs to 6000 rpm which is my max rpm
    http://www.motortrend.com/news/general- ... te-engine/
    I use the car on the street only and wonder if its worth changing to the dual plane- will I actually feel the difference or is it just numbers..?
    only interested in comparison on the 2 intakes mentioned as these are all I have an option on.
    thanks

2. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You probably won't notice much, if any difference. Generally, a dual plane is better for street driving, especially if you're not running hi RPM's.

Did you change your engine 'Frame side Mounts' to the shorter version?

All 1970-72 factory big block Camaro's had a shorter (lower profile) frame mount, which was needed for hood clearance. (1970-72 Z28's used the same lower profile frame mount).
    Also, starting in 1970, all Chevrolet 'Hi-Performance' big blocks switched to a lower profile, aluminum Intake manifold. The lower profile intake manifold was needed for hood clearance on 1970-up big block Camaro's.

3. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

I always liked the old street dominator on a mild big block. I had great results under 5500 with it. I also have run a regular performer with a gm drop base air cleaner.
    The old gm original air cleaner will save you almost an inch when compared to a typical aftermarket drop base.

4. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

I'd pick up a Performer RPM Airgap intake if your hood will clear. It's a great all around intake.

5. alexhenebury

alexhenebury Member

Hi Jonesyfxr did you have any power issues in the lower rpms on the street dominater , that improved with the performer?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  6. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

I think, for me, the street dominator had better throttle response than the performer. The performer provided a better carb mixture and was less sensitive to jetting. I ran a 3310-1 holley on that motor.
    Performance was about the same to me based on seat of the pants even though the street dominator just felt better, if that makes sense.

I never took it to the track but raced a friend in his 69 Mach I with each intake. He had a strong running 351C in that car. I beat him each time we raced by roughly a car length or so.

If you can fit an RPM intake under the stock hood (I don't think you can) it would probably be better than either of the others, but for simple street driving the street dominator or the performer would work fine.

7. alexhenebury

alexhenebury Member

thanks 450bench- very useful to know. Don't want to buy and swap manifolds if theres no real point.

8. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

Yep, I agree. The rpm would certainly be worth the switch but I don't know if it would fit. I'd bet not.
    You could put clay on the front of the air cleaner, in the middle and in the back of it or even tape some balled up tin foil there and see what kind of hood clearance you have and then do the math and see if it would fit.

9. alexhenebury

alexhenebury Member

Hi 450Bench.
    Ive done the clay test so to speak so only that gm intake would fit.
    The car engine dyno'd at about 390hp and 430ftlbs torque.
    Not worried past 3000rpm on performance , just wondered if the gm intake would have increase lower end torque/throttle response.The GM intake is essentially a slightly lower performer so if you think the holley actually had better low end/throttle response than the performer then I'll leave it on there

10. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

Imo, based on what you've said, I'd leave what you have.