BBC engine swap in a 1978 Camaro

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Sad Sack, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Sad Sack

Sad Sack New Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Hello - I currently own a very solid 1978 Camaro Type LT with a great running L6 integral head engine. Car has A/C, cowl induction hood, a TH350 and manual brakes (yes manual brakes!). Car will be a grocery getter for the wife so the transmission will not be abused but will receive a shift kit. This may be my last project car and would like a BBC as my last hurrah so after I finish the body work I am considering removing the in-line six and dropping in a BBC like, but not limited to, a ZZ454 crate engine, and needing advice on the swap. Like what years of 454 will work with SBC motor mounts, mate to the TH350, torque convertor, flexplate, starter, headers, any issues, and items to consider not mentioned, etc. Any advice or questions from forum members appreciated! IMG_7689.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I think this one will be a good one to watch. Nothing looks better between 2nd gen fenders than a big block IMO. Perfect candidate. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable or experienced will come along here, but I really like the "shock and Awe factor" of the BBC in one. I would definitely do it.

3. Sad Sack

Sad Sack New Member

Jun 1, 2018
    I agree too. I’m just curious about hurdles and or obstacles that will come my way if I pull the trigger...a 350 would be easier but a 454 raises the bar. Hoping I get some valuable insight and recommendations from members.

4. bigbloc

bigbloc Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2000
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Big block swap is a breeze in these cars. Use stock small block clamshell mounts, get a Z28 rad, fan, and shroud, and use all the big block pulleys and brackets for a long water pump. You are using an auto so it is bolt in and you can probably use the stock crossmember. Only issue is hood clearance with high rise intakes. Good luck with your project.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    A lot of the componets would be 1970 1/2-3 big block Camaro. With a high rise intake I would at least use a 2"cowl hood or any of your choice.And make it functional There are factory parts for that 1969 Camaro 1970-2 Chevelle ,1980-1 Z-28 Good luck to you and enjoy.

Attached Files:

6. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Okotoks, Alberta
  7. Sad Sack

Sad Sack New Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Nice! Makes me jealous, hope I can pull it off once I'm ready. The wife's been a big help but since my circle of friends do not include anyone that is mechanically inclined the only help I'll be getting is from the forum and Google. I think my biggest worry is just amassing the correct parts like pulleys, brackets, shrouds, etc. Stay tuned.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Chevrolet big block picks of that era uses the same pulleys and brackets ,You should be able to use your stock shroud.

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    You may want to consider checking out the rearend , that you currently have, as it may not be to happy with going from 180 foot pounds of torque to 450 foot pounds or more !! and you will also have to change the front springs at a minimum, as there will be considerably more weight, there are more items I am sure, however, these ones come to mind first. That said, it will be one hell of a grocery getter for the wife!!!

10. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Just make sure its up to snuff .But tou wouldn`t have replace it .I have a 1979 Z-28 RS with supercharged small block .4 speed car. I just upgraded mine with a Moroso "brute Strength" "posi",Factory 3"42 gears ,Mosier 30 spline axles. It has never had any issues,Just remember the 8.5 10 rear end replaced the 12 bolt .but its just as strong , And is used in many applications

Attached Files: