Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good to see you Paul!...Don't be such a stranger. Car is coming along, keep sending us the pics as you go.....gonna be a bad ride for sure.

2. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Good eye. The t-tops are eliminated in the photoshop because I got lazy!

The car will stay a t-top car. Less weight up top. The cage will be gusseted to the roof at the main hoop, back of door opening at the main hoop, cage a-pillar to body a-pillar, and at the sills in order to eliminate flex.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

I just saw that in your first post when I looked back at it, reading is not my strong point late at night, lol. Ours will be seeing some street time, but we're still trying several pieces that we probably shouldn't..:confused:

4. 1981paul

The truth is, I think they'd be fine for occasional street use, but I'm not an engineer. To me, having the control arm break when you hit a curb is way better than having your frame bend.

5. AmericanMuscle

AmericanMuscle Veteran Member

Very cool!!! Cant wait to see more of this build!

6. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very Cool Car!!! I Was Wandering If It's Possible To Take Your Pin On Hood Off By Yourself,or Is Help Needed??

7. Boyd

Boyd Veteran Member

Looking forward to seeing updates on this project. I've thought about converting my car to a full-time auto-xer. C-prepared looks too intense for me starting out though, what class would you recommend for someone just getting in to the sport with a mildly modified '78 Camaro?

For reference, my car has Speedtech upper arms, Del-a-lum bushings in the lower stock arms, dropped coils, 1" and 5/16ths sway bar, Global West Rear leafs with del-a-lum bushings and shackle kit, aluminum body bushings, and 12" discs in front with 11" drums in the rear. Power output is around 330hp.

Are there any classes that our cars can be competitive in without going all-out like you are doing?

8. 1981paul

As long as you haven't done subframe connectors, you are legal for Street Mod, and "maybe" ESP (I'd have to re-read my rule book).

Competitive is a bad term to use. Locally, you'd probably have a fast car in either of those classes. Nationally is different. Street mod is pretty wide open, and a dinosaur like our cars hasn't been at the top in a while. That's not to say it couldn't, but no one has really tried.

ESP tends to be dominated by later generations of Camaros, but is doable in a second gen.

C-Prepared, when done to the max like I am, can be very all out, but is welcoming to cars that aren't prepped to the limit.

Either way, come on out and race. You'll have a ton of fun no matter where you class.

9. MikeDVC

MikeDVC Veteran Member Gold Member

Looks good Paul.

We're practically neighbors; I'll have to get some info from you for a local Autocross.

10. 1981paul

The 27th of this month in Bowie. Shoot me a message if you want to know more.