Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. enjoideviantly

enjoideviantly Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

is tying in the roof like you mentioned-- is that nhra legal? or not? it's not a bad idea if its legal :D i got a ttop drag car

2. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

WOWZA! :D that final photo makes it look like one mean machine!

I say stick with the white since few people do that... BUT! Perhaps a touch of original Red Z28 stripes on the side???? ;)

3. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

I'm going white for certain.

I did give some thought to z-28 stripes, but my old license plate was "NOT A Z" and i always liked the fact that my car wasn't... i think a stripe could be in order, but not likely to be an off the shelf z-28 treatment

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. 1981paul

I honestly have no idea when it comes to NHRA, but if it is, it's a good idea.

5. 1981paul

Minor update - I'm house sitting this week, meaning I can be close to the car. The majority of my work has been cleaning up from where I cut out the a-pillar bars (to make room for the new ones), but for the first time in probably 4 years, the car has 4 wheels and tires, and rolls.

1LE brakes on the front. I haven't mounted the calipers yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's too cold to paint things, so the core support has to stay ugly for now. It's alright, considering I still have to cut a bunch of stuff off of it (no headlights for this car).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 1981paul

Oh, getting way ahead of myself, but I have settled on the "final" paint scheme.

Staying white base, but I'll be doing year appropriate z28 stripes (but not z28 logo) in the Group 44 colors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

SWEET! I like the way you think... looks like your Camaro is going to be all business! Don't forget the brake cooling ducts! :D I'm routing mine with a Carbon duct I scored off a Nascar. :p

I only request that you take Frosty there for a ride when its done... he looks neglected in the corner. :shy:

8. PhilZ

PhilZ Veteran Member

Good luck Paul you will need it when have to run a 30 year car against the new cars out there but with the amount of preparation going into the car you will surprise a lot of people. My auto crossing day were during the mid to late 70’s so the only suggestion I have is to run as many events a possible (we did 2 a weekend when that was possible) to get as many points as you can. The group 44 pictures were great. I was at Summit Point (long-a-go) when Big Apple racing with a big block vet, Fentenstine racing in a 427 CORBA and Bob T (Gr. 44) in the V-12 Jag came thundering down the hill into the carousels what a thrill to see, but after a few laps the Jag put the rest of the field “on the trailers”! Again good luck and keep us posted

9. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

Looks like you're making progress, the green stripes will definitely give it some attitude with those big tires. Digging the non-Z28 part, too, I've always liked the base look over the Z's.

We finally got ours on the road, everything feels really good, I just have to wait for some track time to really test it all out.

10. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

you forgot the part about:

"pat came over last summer and did a little welding and OMG my welds looked like bird poo compared to what he did"