Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

CP: Foam Home

For years I have been hoarding particular sets of fender flares. When they came on the market, I bought them. After years of work I have exactly two sets. The rears are okay, but a bit too wide. If you go back through this thread, you will see a few photos where I have sectioned them and managed to get them close to what I want/need.

Unfortunately, the fronts aren't so easy. There are two major issues with the ones I have: 1. they fit like crap 2. they don't extend down to that fancy new splitter that I made. So what is one to do? Make your own.

Bring on the foam (specifically Great Stuff Big Gap Filler insulation).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some advice for anyone attempting this at home. Apply the foam in layers and wait. What you see above is the result of me globbing two cans on. There were a few issues with this approach. This stuff keeps growing, even after you think it's stopped, which left me with A LOT of excess to get rid of. It also hardened on the outside faster than it cures on the inside, so the next day when I started trimming, I found an huge internal void with sticky goo in there.

I've started to rough shape the one side. I started with sanding disks, but I have way too much material, so I employed an electric turkey carver, which worked great. Here are things after the first trimming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is still a bunch of excess material there, but I'm starting to move towards a shape that works. Hopefully some more dusty photos by the weekend to show you the finished sculpture.

I will not be turning these into a plug. It's just way too much work. I will be fiberglassing directly on top of the foam (with a tape barrier as a release agent) and body finishing the top of them. Down the road, I could always make a mold from them if I wanted.

2. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Just curious. Do you think it would be easier to go this route or to shape them out of sheet metal? Of course that requires fancy tools, but if you had those, would you do it that way?

3. 1981paul

Two considerations for me: weight and my front fenders are fiberglass, so it keeps the materials consistent. I also don’t have the skill set needed to make these out of metal.

4. 1981paul

Slowly sneaking up on a shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^^LOL...I see what you did there ;-) .....Our age is showing

Interesting approach to your flares, never really gave the foam a thought to molding a shape before

1981paul likes this.
  6. 1981paul

I'm not nearly done yet but I'm really happy. Take off too much? Just squirt some more in and wait 10 minutes or so.

John Wright likes this.
  7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

It's lunchtime and I see a fender made of nougat. Mmmmmmmm....nougat.

I've seen this way to do it before and the electric carving knife was the way they cut it down. After that, the final shaping was done with a bondo grater/shaper.
    DIY is sometimes the only option when you are so far custom. Great work.

1981paul likes this.
  8. 1981paul

I'm using the same electric knife to rough in the shape and then finishing it out with my DA. Seems to be working really well so far. More updates to the shape soon.

9. 1981paul

My ability with an electric turkey knife has increased tremendously over the past few days. I have some clay coming that will help me refine a few of the smaller details, but for what it's worth, I think the shape of the first flare is there and done. Excited to get the other side done and then turn these into fiberglass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dave@ztech and John Wright like this.
  10. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Member

MAKE A MOLD I WANT/NEED SOME (YES IM YELLING)

1981paul likes this.