Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.
I noticed you were registered for Nationals. Can't wait to see the car there!
Nothin like a deadline to move a project along
So I've been a busy boy this week. Tired of seeing this car in gray primer, I decided to do something about it. So after weeks of sanding, prep, etc, we finally shot some color.
That's right. It's gray! More specifically, something near to Nardo Grey.
The color really shows well in the sun.
And since the paint has started to dry, I've been able to finally bolt on some bits, like the fuel filler...
... the bumper, taillights, and (fake) license plate...
... and the rear spoiler/deck lid
I'm really happy with how my first time painting a car ever turned out. Over the weekend we hope to assemble the rest of the car and get some "put together" photos for everyone.
At first I was going to say, you forgot to post the color pictures, then I read what you posted, HAA HA, tired of grey primer, paints car grey , HAA HA, looks great, love that rear spoiler, can hardly wait to see it all together!!
Got a little more work done. Here it is, mostly assembled.
Heat shielding is on the body and flare where the exhaust exits.
Front splitter needs a ton of work and will be a low priority before Lincoln.
Overall, I'm really happy with how things have turned out. I've never painted a car, and while not anxious to do it again, I think the results are pretty good.
Now just a million more little things to do before Nationals.
That's awesome man! many congratz for reachin' out that milestone!
It turned out pretty nice.From someone who knows just watch the curbs,
Nice progress Paul
Working up on wrapping up odds and ends to get this car race ready. First I worked on getting the new filler neck hooked up to the fuel cell.
Then I moved on to the front and rear windshields. They are Harwood's Margard windows, in the "flush cut" since I'm not using any trim. I was originally thinking these would be pretty easy to install, but man was I wrong. They required a good bit of trimming, which I somewhat expected. The killer was I tried to use rivnuts everywhere, so lots of drilling. Once I got the rivnuts installed and my hand recovered, I attempted to install the rear window. Well, the holes I drilled in the "glass" didn't line up very well, and my stainless button head bolts kept having issues with their threads, which caused rivnuts to fall out, spin, or the bolt to just not go in.
I learned my lesson up front, and that only has 8 rivnuts for now. The top is attached with nylocks on the backside where I could reach, and screws along the bottom (for now).
What I didn't notice is that the front windshield got damaged in shipping, with a big gouge in the glass. Because there is no "inside" or "outside" on these, I was able to place the damaged bit to the passenger side. Then, by some sort of miracle, the inner brace I fabricated for the windshield landed exactly on the damaged bit, so you can't see it at all. I'll call that a win.
The view from the office.
Overall, I'm really stoked with how "race car" the Lexan made things.
After that, I had to put the whole thing together to take it all in.
I've already done plugs. Still need to do oil and adjust the clutch, then do a full nut and bolt. Once that is done, it goes on the scales for ballast. There is already 100lbs in the car, and I have another ~125 waiting to go in. I wonder how much more I'll need to make 3000lbs.