Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Just wanted to say you have done an awesome job on this second gen autocross monster. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Are you trying to hit a 50/50 split with driver?

Thanks for sharing your build and pics.

1981paul likes this.
  2. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the compliment! I'm really excited to get it out there.

Rules state that I can't have any more than 51% of the total weight on the rear of the car (without me in it), so I'm going to get as close to that as possible.

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Cool, I imagine you have a seat setback location and it will bias to the rear once your sitting in it. Keep us posted.
    Thanks
    PS: Love the sound of it too, I'm old so I like the Flowmasters lol .

4. 1981paul

That would be quite devious. Who ever would think of such a thing... ;)

5. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Looking good. Installing the "glass" was not much fun on mine either. Although I still used the stock rear glass I had, being cheap and all.

They do limit how far you can move the seat back, no more than 12" from stock centerline position, so you can't go too far. That is reserved for Modified class.

6. 1981paul

I was sure to stay in that limit.

7. 1981paul

So, with one week to go before we load up and head to the SCCA Solo Nationals in Lincoln, NE, I figured I should do some testing on the car. I have been thrashing over the past few weeks to get everything sorted, car ballasted and corner weighted, nut and bolted, etc. It was a long list, but I managed to get there and was ready to run with Capital Driving Club, an autocross club I help out with. The race was in Waldorf, MD on a smaller, sealed lot, but it's better than nothing.

First, the hard parked look:
    [​IMG]

The car certainly got some looks, and it was exciting to have it out and in front of people who have been hearing about the car for years, but then it came time to run it.

[​IMG]
    (photo by https://www.instagram.com/noballsmedia/)

I am excited to say that out of the box, with no tuning, the car worked really, really well. When the day was over I had managed to end up 8th out of 91 entrants, 1.68 seconds back from a very well setup DP Miata driven by my buddy, and National Champion, Mike Moran (who also took the video below).

Sadly, it wasn't a perfect event. I had a persistent oil leak from the front and rear of the intake, that while not as bad as when I had the car out last year, is still an issue. I think I have too much crankcase pressure and it's pushing oil out of any weak point it can find. I'm hoping that the excess pressure is due to not enough breather, as the two breather lines on the motor tee together and go into one vent/catch can. I have ordered a second and I'm crossing fingers that separating the lines will help. I'm really hoping it's not rings, so I'm not even doing a compression test until after Nationals. You can see the oil smoke out of the exhaust in the video, which isn't helping my nerves, but we are going to send it. The motor didn't smoke when Randy had it, and it really hasn't been run much sine then, so I'm not sure what's up. I did notice that the intake manifold gaskets had oil halfway up them when I pulled the intake out. Not sure what that means.

[​IMG]

So here we are. I'm resealing and re-gasketing the intake and crossing some fingers. We leave in 5 days.

roadrace2 likes this.
  8. 1981paul

Based off of Randy's advice, I've ordered up some stuff to put a PCV on the motor. I didn't realize he had been running one when he had it in his car.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

[QUOTE Sadly, it wasn't a perfect event. I had a persistent oil leak from the front and rear of the intake, that while not as bad as when I had the car out last year, is still an issue. I think I have too much crankcase pressure and it's pushing oil out of any weak point it can find. I'm hoping that the excess pressure is due to not enough breather, as the two breather lines on the motor tee together and go into one vent/catch can. I have ordered a second and I'm crossing fingers that separating the lines will help. I'm really hoping it's not rings, so I'm not even doing a compression test until after Nationals. You can see the oil smoke out of the exhaust in the video, which isn't helping my nerves, but we are going to send it. The motor didn't smoke when Randy had it, and it really hasn't been run much sine then, so I'm not sure what's up. I did notice that the intake manifold gaskets had oil halfway up them when I pulled the intake out. Not sure what that means [/QUOTE]

Car looks freaking awesome, I love it!! Best of luck at the Nationals 1981Paul, that must be a rush to compete at that level.

I hope to be there at the Nationals with my son some day to compete, he has won his last 5 events in D/STX class in Ontario/Quebec and is on pace to win the class, and perhaps the overall championship in his first year.

About your oil problem, If it's an angle issue/gap on the bottom of the intake/manifold face, you could use extra sealer and a bottom bead to help seal it up as it will suck oil on vacuum. To see if it's crankcase pressure, I tap the intake at the back flat floor and install a 1/8 fitting and check with a vacuum/pressure gauge when I do my R&D, that should answer that question.

If the gauge does not show a reading, and your intake angles are good and sealing with a dry intake runner, my next question would be if you are using the Gapless top rings? your video leads me to believe that may in fact be the case. If so, once you do check, your cranking pressures will be good, and your leak downs will be great, usually in the 1-2.5% range, so then you start chasing your tail. Been there,done that, got the T-shirt LOL.

Hope this helps.

1981paul likes this.
  10. z28cp

z28cp Veteran Member

Paul,

Just a point of info. I am running a -12 line from each valve cover to a vent can. 1 vent can for each valve cover. So far, no issues with either engine that has been in the car pushing oil out.

Car is looking good. Can't wait to see it! And run against it!!

1981paul likes this.