Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

That's great info. I'm going to be running a -8 from the drivers side to a vent/can, and a PCV in the passenger side running to a spacer under the carb. Fingers crossed I'm good to go.

Really looking forward to seeing everybody in Lincoln!

z28cp likes this.
  2. lasher7

lasher7 New Member

Where did you get those rear flares. They're awesome!

3. lasher7

lasher7 New Member

Where did you get those rear flares? They're awesome!

4. lasher7

lasher7 New Member

Sorry I asked the question before reading the entire thread. Great job on the flares, and everything else too.

1981paul likes this.
  5. 1981paul

No problem at all! I'm hoping to make a mold of the fenders over the winter. Mainly to do some carbon fiber ones for myself.

6. 1981paul

So, hopefully the last major mechanical issue is out of the way before Nationals.

Intake is back on, and I now have a PCV system to help with my crankcase pressure issue.

PCV valve replaced the breather line on the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

That runs into the cheapest catch can Amazon had. I used thread sealant on everything because cheapest catch can Amazon had.
    [​IMG]

In the event you weren't sure what it was:
    [​IMG]

I was not brave enough to drill and tap the intake this close to nationals, so I went with a 1" carb spacer that had a 3/8" vacuum fitting.
    [​IMG]

The overall setup is now very tall. It does fit under the hood, but just barely. Good thing I have solid motor mounts.
    [​IMG]

Tonight we reset the timing, check fluids, nut and bolt, and get ready to load it up and drive to Lincoln on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

dave@ztech and roadrace2 like this.
  7. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

Good luck from Canada Eh! I've enjoyed every step of your build.

1981paul likes this.
  8. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Member

awesome work fingers crossed everything as planned

1981paul likes this.
  9. 1981paul

2019 SCCA Solo Nationals Recap

You don't know how excited I am to make this post. This one has been a long time in the making.

After busting our butts not only for months leading up to this event, but in the week before, we loaded up the Camaro and made our drive out to Lincoln, Nebraska. We stopped in Chicago to visit family, which included drinking way too much with my cousins (who gave me a bunch of Malört because they know me), then hit up Antique Archeology, and finally rolled into Lincoln on Sunday. We unloaded the car and got our dust masks. After that we met up with our friends, grabbed some dinner and margaritas, and then hit the sack. It was going to be a long week.

[​IMG]

Monday
    Larry Casey, who was instructing the Evo School, volunteered to take the car out for a few runs since we didn't really have time to shake things down yet.

(Video by Michael Moran)

Larry drove the car hard into the long, left hand sweeper, which loaded up the valve cover with oil. Randy had removed the baffles from the Corvette valve covers so they'd clear the rockers, so when Larry got off throttle, the vacuum sucked oil through the PCV, instantly filling the catch can and then pulling the rest into the intake. My heart sank for a moment, but as soon as the smoke cleared out of the exhaust I knew we'd be okay.

We also learned that the car was way oversprung up front. Even with the compression all the way down, the front end was skipping in slower sections. I made the call to not do anything about that issue yet, as we had enough to worry about.

We had two test sessions scheduled for Tuesday, so we needed to get things fixed before then. Speedway Motors was closed on the holiday, and no one else in Lincoln had a tall valve covers in stock, so we had to wait and just get up early, and hope we had enough time to get things patched up and make the 9am test session.

Tuesday
    [​IMG]

I managed to get the valve covers, back to site, and got the passenger side on with enough time to make the practice slot... almost. The grommet for the PCV from the old valve covers didn't fit, so we had to run back to Speedway and unfortunately missed out first session. We got the car together and Kate and I shared her 11am session.

I took the first run to give Kate, who had never driven this car other than up and down the street once, an idea of what she was in for. Kate took the second run, and on her first launch did the smokiest John Force style burnout. The tires were scrubbed in. She took the third run, and I took the fourth, and like that, we had to be ready to compete.

[​IMG]
    (Photo by Perry Bennett)

Wednesday
    After the test runs I had a small leak from the front of the intake, so on our off day I RTV'd the poo out of the front of the motor and crossed my fingers. We were sending it, no matter what.

Thursday
    [​IMG]
    (Photo by Perry Bennett)

Well, this was it. Day one of competition. Kate was running second heat and I was running fourth. I went to check in for my first heat work assignment and learned I was moved to second heat. Michael Moran stepped up big time and covered my work assignment for me, as there was no way Kate should have to run an untested car with no support.

[​IMG]
    (Photo by Perry Bennett)

Kate went out on her first run and attacked the course. She absolutely killed it and did an amazing job. Leading up to Nationals, she had been very apprehensive about the car.

[​IMG]
    (Photo by Perry Bennett)

"My biggest fear going into Solo Nationals was that I wouldn’t like driving the Camaro. That after 15 years of time and labor, I would hate the car. The first few days of the event that anxiety hung over my head and made it difficult to relax and enjoy myself. But as soon as I had my first run Thursday morning, that all changed and I had a blast. I still have A LOT to learn about the car and I have a long way to go before I’m threatening any trophy spots, but I accomplished exactly what I was hoping to do at Nationals. I drove the damn car, and I had fun doing it. I think I’m going to like it in C Prepared."

[​IMG]
    (Photo by Perry Bennett)

So after Kate's very successful maiden voyage, it was my turn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Photos by Michael Moran)

All gridded up and ready to go. I was nervous, but excited, as I headed out for my first run.

(Video by Michael Moran)

Holy poo this thing is fun! I was really happy with my opening times, but I did notice the push from the practice course. Not much I could do about that now.

My second run wound up being my only clean run, so it was my fastest. Here is my in-car.

And here it was from the outside.

(Video by Michael Moran)

After the second run, Mikey said he noticed oil smoke out of the hood. He asked if I wanted to pop the hood, and I told him that I just didn't want to know and we'd send it. I went for broke on my third run, and while the time was there, I coned it at the very end and dropped back to 22nd place (out of 46).

(Video by Michael Moran)

Friday
    Second day of racing was here. We got up early and I drove the car over to do our course walks and get the car in grid for Kate. As I pulled up to the course, there was a bunch of oil smoke out of the hood. poo.

I popped the hood and found the source. The new valve cover was leaking and oil was getting on the heat protective boots around the spark plugs, which was then getting heated by the header. Kate went and did her course walk, and I busted out my friend RTV again and did my best to get things sealed up. Another fingers crossed moment.

Kate went out and did her three runs, getting better each time (including her second run where she bang-shifted into 4th instead of 2nd). At the end of their runs, Tracey Lewis sat at the top. She did an amazing job and it was a very well earned jacket.

[​IMG]

Well, now it was my turn.

[​IMG]

We were on the East course today, and holy crap that course was fast. The car was great, but I was again dirty on my first and third runs. When the dust had settled, I had moved up from 22nd to 15th, just two spots outside the trophies.

Congratulations go to Tommy Pulliam for his win in CP. It was amazing competing alongside him and all the other racers. This is honestly the best class in solo - change my mind.

[​IMG]

There the car sat. Six hard runs on the practice course, and 12 on the competition courses. It still ran, didn't leak too badly, and made it back to the trailer under its own power, and threatened the trophies in basically the first real race. I could not be happier.

We then headed out in the CP parade to crown our champion. You're damn right I was going to be up front for this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This trip was a huge success. I have a bit of a list of things to tackle this winter, but for now I might pay a little attention to things around the house.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    roadrace2, John Wright and dave@ztech like this.
  10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

A BIG congratulations to you 1981paul, a lot of work and effort went into getting to that point.

Also, thanks for sharing the pics and vid's of your passes, much appreciated.

My neighbor just returned a few days ago from the Nationals, he was part of "team Canada", going to get the scoop later. Bill Rogerson won there back in 2014 I think.

1981paul likes this.