Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like a TON OF FUN!!!, The car looks like it was on rails, going through the course, once you have a little time to deal with some spring settings it will be a winner for sure, that said, it was a winner this outing !!

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Good stuff!

3. JMcDonough

JMcDonough New Member

Paul - congrats on the solid finish and awesome job getting the car together for nationals!

This appears to be the second time our automotive taste paths have crossed. You gave me a set of camber shims for the 318ti I had a long while back! Fast forward to about a year ago and my dad and I picked up an 81 Camaro to build into a CAMT car. Your thread has been a big motivator as we've been in a similar boat this season (car was in pieces in July, ran 1 event pre-Nationals, and we thrashed to get stuff resolved before the big dance).

Anyway - my 0.02c from your videos - I think you'll gain a good chunk of time with getting more acclimated to the car. Several of the transition sections you were tentative on the throttle or lifting as a precautionary measure when the car seemed within its limits still. Same for dialing in the setup to make the car behave more to your liking. At least for me, it was hard to focus strictly on driving with a brand new build where half of your mind is trying to detect unexpected noises/smoke/steering or brake feedback/etc.

Do you run any sort of data in the car other than video? We used solostorm with a race capture pro (same setup I used in the GS Focus ST I ran the past several years). It was a great help in getting my dad back up to speed in auto-x (he's been away doing track days for about 15 years). Looking at my nationals data, I realized how terribly inconsistent I was from run to run (I'm blaming lack of seat time) and how much was out there just in putting together a decent run without any huge mistakes. Gives me hope for next season!

Best of luck getting all of your offseason work taken care of and I hope we can cross paths at a national even or two next year!

dave@ztech likes this.
  4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Really glad to hear how well this all went.
    SO...
    time to take the car apart and prep for E-Mod ;)

1981paul likes this.
  5. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Small world, isn't it! Did you see the 318ti running FSP? I was probably the only one geeking out about that.

CAMT is a great choice, and had I not started this build decades ago, I would have gone there. If I can provide any advice (or spare parts), please let me know. Was your car the white second gen that was running this year?

You are totally right about getting comfortable. This was my first real event in the car, and my third autocross in 1.5 years -- lots of rust to be shed.

No data yet, but I will be looking into solostorm over the winter. Just need to figure out what tablet, etc I want to go with. I drank the Apple Kool-Aid a long time ago, so I'm not up on my other platforms.

We should be running a lot more next year, so I'm sure we'll met up! Thanks again.

6. JMcDonough

JMcDonough New Member

I didn't get to check out the 318ti FSP car this year, but did in past years and got a real kick out of seeing it in action. I'd imagine that car has to be near the highest % WOT vs time on course of any car at the event. I say that having spent time in a HS MINI, haha.

Yes - we were the white 2nd gen in CAMT with light purple stripes (paint hasn't made it to the top of the priority list yet). I was super happy to finish mid-pack in our 2nd event with the car (1st with a front sway bar!). Nationals was my dad's first event in the car, so he was happy to make large strides between runs. We have quite a bit more left to do on the car this offseason, but much less than the prep for this season. That gives us hope we'll be able to get some real seat time. I've been negligent on making a build thread here mostly due to the rush of trying to get the car ready. Look for something in the next couple days.

Solostorm is fantastic and the only real choice in detailed between run analysis. I do recommend feeding it with a decent data source. I've seen/used solostorm fed by DL1s with bluetooth, qstarz pucks, race capture boxes (like mine), and phone inputs. Phones don't have fast enough GPS update rate to be useful. The accel data from them can be suspect as well. Several buddies use the qstarz, which gives good speed vs distance info, but still relies on the phone/tablet accel data. The DL1 or RaceCapture systems are good and provide flexibility to log more data from the car, some of which can be pulled into solostorm. As an example, I used the RCP's CAN capabilities to log brake pressure, steering wheel angle, and accel pedal position from my Focus ST and bluetoothed that data along with GPS speed and accels into solostorm. I'm using a Samsung Tab S2 8.0 and really like it for this purpose. I've found it to be a good balance between screen size and quality + performance for a decent price.

One word of caution for solostorm is the auto video starting feature via wifi can be flakey. Lots of folks have had missed recording video on runs due to complications in that interface/functionality. After I had the same issue a time or two, I quit trying to auto integrate video with solostorm. When it works correctly, that feature is super neat (downloads low res video and synchronizes it with the data for between run review). Instead, I typically pop the SD card out of the camera, use a card reader + usb go cable, and view video separately from data between runs on the tablet.

I would like to pick your brain some on suspension geometry and setup tradeoffs. Coming from a FWD street class car, this high(ish) HP RWD with bunches of knobs to turn is new territory.

7. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

For the record, I love the stripes. Feel free to ask me any questions you like. You can always email me at paul . przyborski @ gmail . com

JMcDonough likes this.
  8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So glad that you were able to get the car out there and had a blast.

1981paul likes this.
  9. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Member

AWESOME just awesome, love the videos, the in car for me are the best just seeing the body lines hood lines let's me feel like I'm there. again get work great build, next time you roll through Chicago I'd love to see the car in person.

1981paul likes this.
  10. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Congratulations to you and your Camaro on their first event, and it went off without a major hitch! I'll bet your face hurt the next day from all the smiling (and G's). You came prepared, no pun intended, and were rewarded with a great day.
    I have the same "Will I like the car" apprehension with mine right now. I'm sure you love yours now though!
    Congrats again!

1981paul likes this.