Bearing cup removal

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 8pack, May 30, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bearing Race removal

How the heck do you break the bearing cups free? I used a screw driver and a BFH and hit pretty darn hard and they didn't budge. Should I heat them up and then try again?

Can I just put in new bearings and leave the old cups? The old cups are perfect, no scoring or sign of wear. Three of the old bearings are perfect but one got damaged when I stupidly dropped it.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Im guessing you are talking about the races? There should be a slot on the back side on the opposite end of the rotor. Hammer is out evenly, it should come right out. Are you trying to pry them out? (dont do that)

I highly suggest using new races with new bearings.

3. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Use a big socket and give them a good wack. I have heard that when you install the new race...put it in the freezer for a day before installing. It helps it go in.

4. 8pack

going to garage now....I didn't see slots in the back but will go check again.....will try the socket as well.

5. 8pack

Socket worked brilliantly on the small race. 1 1/8" Socket. Gave me a good idea of how hard you have to hit it...HARD.

The big race I needed a Screw driver. Now way to get any other tool in there that I could figure out. I galled a small area on one rotor and had to smooth it out with the dremel. Took a lot of hammering to get them out.....but got them! New races are in the freezer right now.

Thanks guys!

6. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Most guys use a large punch or brass drift to hit it with also, and sometimes the slots are barely there.