Bed Liner Undercoating

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by NeoNeuro, Jan 21, 2017.

1. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

I've noticed a lot of people using spray-on truck bed liner as an undercoating material. Initially it sounds like a good idea, but I wonder how well it withstands exhaust temps. If you ran the coating up to the bottom of the firewall, would the headers melt it? If so, would heat shielding resolve the problem?
    Has anyone tried this?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I'm using actual undercoating. I have used permatex before but recently using rustoleum professional in a spray can. Haven't seen any issues with the exhaust

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

The one time I tried aerosol bed liner under a car it didn't stick to anything and fell off within a year. I figured it's made to lay on top of sheet metal and not under it. I have had the best luck with 3M undercoating but I try not to use undercoating at all anymore. I prefer good paint.

4. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member

the same company that makes the truck bed coating makes the undercoating and it is much more durable that the truck bed coating. It sticks much better - best thing is you can find it at Home Depot where I will be today buying some because I am currently redoing my sub frame and susp...here is what you want
    [​IMG]

5. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just use a good quality bed liner. I don't trust any air dry rattle can stuff.

I used Upol Raptor liner. You can get a kit that comes with a shutz gun, liner bottles and activator. Pour the activator to the top of the bottle, shake, hook the bottle up to the gun and spray. Move on to the next bottle and repeat. All you need is a decent compressor.

http://www.u-pol.com/us/en/product/...coating/4-liter-raptor-kit/4-liter-raptor-kit

6. Detrailers

You'd be surprised how good the aerosol Rust-Oleum stuff is. I've used the Raptor w/ Shutz gun and that's great stuff but mega messy and alot of set up and a nightmare cleaning out the Shutz gun. It's really ridgid when it dries too, I've had to chisel it off bolts to get a socket on them...The undercoater is rubberized like the factory stuff....I did my underside with the RO a year and a half ago and it is still holding up and very easy to use...And CHEEP....About 7 bucks a can

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  7. Detrailers

And yes the RO truck bed coating in a cool finish but they need to make that stuff stick better...

8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well..I've used the rustoleum undercoating, and their bed liner as well. Both with good results. I have tried duplex bed liner...and it sucks. The rustoleum products work very well in my experience. They hold up pretty darn good. I've used it on my Camaro, and my truck when I had the bed off the frame. They still look good. FWIT...I hand painted my brake booster in the Camaro with the black bedliner spray. I sprayed it into the cap, and hand painted it. I did the brake calipers a year ago as well by the same method. Both with very good results, and has held up well. I also sprayed my C/A last winter, and sprayed my trunk area. No peels, etc. Happy with it. I do beleive it's all about the prep.

9. dsbratton

dsbratton Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I plan on doing the undercoating also this summer. Was going to use Raptor, but now considering the rustoleum. How many cans would it take to do the floor and wheel wells? I assume it would go over epoxy primer?

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^ if I remember the rustoleum can go over bare metal. I personally would use raptor if you have the means to spray it. I used rattle can because I don't.