Beemer opinions

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Dec 25, 2014.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I've been looking to get out of my '75 for some time. I'm tired of working on it all the time and my back flares up anytime I bend over with some weight in my arms. Yesterday I drove to north of St. Louis to look at a '51 Hudson. It was actually in better condition than I expected but the frame was rotted in the center and that's more work than I want. If I wanted to do that much work, I'd finish the Camaro.

Anyway, I remember someone asking about 7 series BMW's recently. I have a fellow with a 1987 BMW 325i convertible to trade. It's supposed to be in pretty good shape with no rust, recent top and so on. It does need a new heater core but I don't plan to drive it in cold weather. My old SL roadster never got out on salt and rarely came out on cloudy days. I know the 3 series 6 banger has a timing belt that needs regular replacement. Anything else to look for? As with any Euro car, electrics are a concern.

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hope you're handy with a wrench.

3. 72Heaven

72Heaven Veteran Member

the 7 series is a far different beast than the 3 series. I've owned an E30 ('82-91) and E36 ('91-99). They were reliable (mechanically), and the e36 convertible was great fun to drive. Now, they both had electrical gremlins, but there was nothing that prevented me from driving them, just add-on luxury stuff, and the e30 has very little of that junk.

In short, would I buy a '82-'99 well-kept BMW 3 series? Yes. Even as a daily driver? yes. If stuff does need to be worked on it's well designed and easy to reach. That's been my experience. Prepared to be raped (gently with gloved hands in a luxurious waiting area) if you can't fix it and have to take it in for service ...but it's just a car most stuff isn't all that different than any other junker.

4. ol' grouch

Actually, there's a German car shop near here that worked on my Mercedes 380SL. He only works on German cars and is fairly reasonable. I've been looking at parts and most aren't too bad, unless it's a dealer only item. The timing belt was done last summer.

5. 69LM1

69LM1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Watch out for the ignition. The 3 series and z3 series are notorious for the key security breaking and you cant start, or if started when it breaks, cant stop the car.
    That said, its an easy fix and the new part is about 200 $, but has to be custom ordered by your vin.

Rich

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What's your budget?
    I've always been a fan of BMW, but they say nothing is more expensive than a cheap Bimmer.
    Personally - I'd stay away from the '87 325 Convert. Any convert that old is asking for chassis flex issues

7. kimosabi

kimosabi Veteran Member

Any old car from the 80's and beyond are prone to electric failures.

As for the E30, they are nice cars, I've owned a E30 323i, E30 325i and an E30 318i. All of them really nice but unfortunately I owned them during the completely wrong period of life. Early 20's.

And why I say that is that especially the I6 versions have a really "enthusiastic" snap oversteer.... Light car with a heavy nose paired with independant rear suspension.

As for the M20 I6 engines they should not be revved past 2500rpm before reaching operating temperature because the head can warp on them, with gasket leak etc as a result.

But why on earth did they stick those heavy ass bumpers on them in the US? Looks like Volvos!

8. ol' grouch

I learned about that with my Mercedes. M-B doesn't want your car stolen with an extra key so you have to go to the dealer with your registration and then a new key is overnighted from Hamburg. I can see BMW doing something similar.

I don't plan to keep the car too long. I may swap it for a motorcycle later towards spring. Then again, it's a second owner car and from what the guy says, the original owners just wanted something new. The warts it has are pretty simple fixes. The only biggie is a leaking heater core that has been bypassed. Since it's a warm weather only car, that's not a problem.

9. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

I drive an old BMW as my daily driver. It's an E3, a '72 Bavaria, and it's a great car. It's a carbureted M30, Getrag 5-speed, everything works, and I've driven it daily for almost 9 years. I had never even heard of these cars before I bought it, and I'm pleasantly surprised as to how easy it is to work on.

10. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I said "F it" to buying another boring car every 15 years even though my last DD was a WRX. Fun, but far from refined. Figure I'm at the age where I'm going to live a bit large this go around and special ordered myself one of these bad boys a couple of weeks ago. With all to doo dads on this fooker I sure the heck hope they are somewhat reliable these days.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/11/30/car-drivers-2015-10best-cars-bmw-m235i/