Bent Unibody? Car took a hard hit.

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Cfitz07, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don’t think it would hold the body crooked the damage has been done.... The door alignment to me looks actually pretty good except for being tight on top towards the rear..... Remove the subframe and spend some time on the door.... take some measurements from the quartepanel to hinge bolts on both sides and do a comparison

2. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

As mentioned cross measure from underneath, and if hinge pillar is moved back look for small bump (pressure) at top of "A" pillar where it meets the top. Will usually show there. Don't give up on it yet. Get it in the air and borrow a tram gauge and check it out.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

So much optimism! Love it. That frame is messed up, to think the body sustained no damage is interesting.

Smokey15 likes this.
  4. Cfitz07

Cfitz07 New Member

Can you guys verify one thing for me. This is a body filler and appears the car has had quarters replaced once before. If this was a oem body there would be lead where the roof meets the quarter? If so it turns out this car was wrecked a couple times. Im thinking they didnt align the quarters good enough

Attached Files:

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Ouch. That sucks. I'd take a close look at the rear frame rails too, might be some kinks back there.

6. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On the quarters,I would assume(lol)that was a quickpatch for a new top install.I would pull the jamb vent,and inspect for weld marks with a flashlight and a mirror.There will be tells if its been replaced,especially in the trunk/tailpanel areas.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

We’re talking a 50 year old car here. Expect unknowns.... I find it not too uncommon to take short cuts on the roof for vinyl tops since it’s covered anyways.