Best carb for street driven only 350

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Chevyforever, Dec 31, 2019.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Thx, I plan on cutting off choke tower.

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Funny you should bring that up, my friend who is a NHRA stock class racer just called me form a back to back test today of an 850 Holley with and without an air horn, it was only worth 20cfm. The flow operator did show him how even the slightest angle of the throttle blades hurt flow more than removing the air horn. You can't argue with numbers, but my cars at the track have always gone quicker and faster with the air horn removed.
    The other thing that always bothered me was when BG claimed their carbs would flow more wet than a dry test, we will test that one also later this year.

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

BG claimed allot of things......

1980RS and Chevyforever like this.
  4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hot Rod magazine did an article YEARS ago testing all kinds of carburetors on a motor similar to yours (mild street driven motor).

At the end of testing, they were forced to admit that the old Q-Jet was the best all around carburetor for economy and performance. In second place was the Carter/Edelbrock carburetor. And last was Holley single and dual feed carburetors.

I have used them all. Of all the streetable carburetors, the Q-Jet wins hands down. BUT it requires a spread bore (Q-Jet) shaped intake and you have a square bore intake. Given that you have a squarebore intake, I would highly recommend a Edelbrock 1406 carburetor. We happen to have one on our youngest son's 83 S10 with a (similar to your engine) 350 SBC engine.

NOTE: the Edelbrock carbs are NOTORIOUS for the float height and drop set WRONG from the factory! You HAVE TO verify the float height and drop or it will run like crap! I know because we chased his S10 not starting up (hot or cold) and getting crappy MPH until we cut to the chase and set the floats!

1980RS, Coadster32 and Chevyforever like this.
  5. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Once again, thanks to all participating with this topic, some useful info and ideas being exchanged.

1980RS likes this.
  6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Now I want a new lid. I like the 70 air cleaner base also,it is contoured perfect over the carb and as low as it gets