Best way to check temps

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ErikNORCAL, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

i just got my swap out of the garage under its own power. Don’t laugh, think I started this 10 years ago.

It’s a 2008 or ‘09 gm crate truck 5.3L. Worried about overheating this thing as I’m still sorting out stuff to make sure it works. One of the items is still the fans haven’t kicked on. the low speed should come on at 200F and off at 196ish with high on at 210 and off at 200. engine should run in the 193-212 range. I’ve also installed an auto meter electric gauge.
    The car takes a while to get to 195F on the electric gauge while idling and I’m wondering if that is accurate too.

Hence what is the best way to check temps?

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

You can use an infrared temp gun to check different components in the engine compartment including the radiator. $14 and up

temp gun.jpg

3. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

I’m using an infrared too and seeing 180 on the radiator at idle so guess that’s that. Crazy, takes a while to get to that temp too.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You could have a stuck open T-stat. I had a similar issue where it took a while to warm up, but never over heated. The T-stat was stuck open keeping the engine cool rather than regulating temps

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 5.3 swap I did take a long time to warm up too. If you're getting 180 at the radiator I suspect your gauge is accurate. Unless you programmed it out a stuck open t-stat generally sets a code assuming you're using the GM ECM and programming.

6. badazz81z28

It won’t set a code for a lack of or stuck T-stat.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Wanna bet? I deal with three or four of them a month. Look up P0128 and get back with me. ;)

8. badazz81z28

In a OEM configuration? I’m going off what I know with stand alone swaps. Never seen it happen tinkering with stand alone a since 2011

9. Knuckle Dragger

So, you responded to my post without reading it? Read my reply again. Once again the world is larger than your knowledge base. Tinkering for a few years < 30+ years as a professional mechanic. Maybe think before you tell someone they're wrong?

10. badazz81z28

Don't know why I even bother...He said the engine is reaching 180 degree...he already proved the temp sensor is working and confirmed temps with an IR gun. Cold temps with a 160 T-stat, open T-stat or not one installed are logical explanations. The code is for temps not necessarily directly linked to the function of the T-stat. Didn't say anyone was wrong....