Big Block Chevy Intake Manifold tech

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Chevyforever, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

1980RS likes this.
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I have read the articular and David Vizard is one smart cookie, with that being said, all that these guys talk about does not work in the real world sometimes. Case in point, on my peanut port engine I started out with the Air Gap and it really performed, I switched to a single plane intake thinking I would pickup some top end all it did was hurt the 60ft times and ran the same mph. I think a lot has to to with the engine and type of carb and heads plus camshaft that makes the intake a key player. I noticed a lot of guy making big power now on big inch big blocks with Air Gaps and years ago everyone and their mothers son said the single plane intake was the hot ticket. Only way to be sure is to do back to back testing and hope the air at the track is the same.

3. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I did a back to back Performer RPM VS Holley strip dominator 7400rpm 350" Ported and milled 186 heads solid flat tappet TH 350 2200 stall and highway gears and sometimes 3000 stall and highway or 456 gears.

I could not tell I swapped intakes ..they ran exactly the same at all RPM ranges.
    Then I stuck on a 12" tall dual 4 tunnel-ram!
    HOLLY Crap!!! did someone sneak a larger engine under that Ram when I had my back turned.
    Lots more power everywhere.
    Play with 5 to 20 HP with different "dedicated" single 4 intakes then stick a tunnel-ram on and get 50+ through the entire curve.

1980RS likes this.
  4. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

I have a lot of personal experience with the BBC, ( over 30 years drag racing) and I agree that cubic inch, compression, cyl. head choice, camshaft all factor into what determines the best intake choice. So many people focus on peak hp numbers and often neglect to build a broad torque band into their combination. We always tried to keep rpm reasonable, less than 7200, and ran some pretty good ET's at the track within a reasonable budget. All my engines were relatively small by today's standards ranging from 396 to 498 ci. Only built naturally aspirated single carb combos on gasoline, never tried alcohol. That being said we never blew anything up and did regular maintenance and conservative ignition timing. I have a ton of respect for the power these Rat motors can belt out year after year using very common parts assembled meticulously.

timing

Dave Nelson and 1980RS like this.
  5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Had the same thing happen on my 327 years ago. Put a Weiand Hi-Ram on it with 2 450 Holley's and that 327 would scream, put the Holley Street Dominator (single plane) back on it and the car was a dog.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

You are right about the BB making a lot of power with the LS craze. I used an older Team-G oval port intake 4150 years ago and it would just about beat any dual plane intake I had ever used inc. the new (then) RPM Performer. I always wished I would have never sold it, I have one now but it's a 4500 that I just ported so I will stick an adapter on it or maybe I will just try the little 750 Dominator this year. Would be funny if the peanut port engine went quicker and faster than the Air Gap, that would be a laughable moment. I will switch to a 114° LCA cam this year to do like you said and broaden the power curve, these heads have a poor exhaust flow and that will probably help get me some top end.

7. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

BBs are like dogs,they each have their own personality and want what they want.

1980RS likes this.