Big block Electric fans??

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 76z28, May 17, 2019.

1. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

So I am going to be swapping to a griffin radiator or a cold case radiator, but am looking at electric fans. While I believe my cooling system is adequate, I feel like there is no capacity left as on a 90 degree day it sits right at 195 to 200 or so. When the fan engages(clutch fan) it will hold there rather than creeping up.
    The main reasons for wanting to switch:
    More cooling capacity and I want to make the engine bay look cleaner and I hope updating to electric fans will help this. Being that I am going to upgrade to electric fans, I need a more efficient radiator to ensure I won't have problems.

What are some of the fans you guys are using?
    --I am consider: windstar, mark VIII, LT1, or anything else. I will use my edelbrock computer to activate the fan(s) as well.

Thanks!

2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use the LT1 fan with a dual temp switch on my 402.
    It works very well and I haven't seen the second fan needed yet.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

4th gen fans. if the efi has hi & low trigger then use 3 relays like later 4th gens so both fans come on at low and high

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  4. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Is there a diagram of this? I'm hopeful they got as they didn't last time with my 4 core radiator.... The Griffin should be thinner though

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

6. BonzoHansen

20190517_113532.jpg

7. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Why is a C&R radiator $1800!

Dewitt is just an option. I have one, I like how its made in the USA and they will cover warranty issues. The fans are already installed onto and they are SPAL fans (Check CFM with factory fans). It also comes with 2 wiring kits/relays for each fan and the radiator had a bung/temp sensor already installed to activate the fans. Its a nice complete product. In the past I have used the generic aluminum radiator which has worked fine, used a 4th gen fan which I had to be creative to install and ran a fan controller from the intake manifold. It all worked...it just wasn't clean and it wasn't the highest quality of parts. You can get by with a multitude level of budgets, but me personally having done thing multiple times over because I didn't want to spend the extra $200 has cost me more in the end. Now in short order, I'm going on radiator/fan combo #3.

9. BonzoHansen

I use a 3 row mishimoto, works great

10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Yeahh I would never buy a 1800 dollar radiator holy cow! I will look into that more. I did not realize they were a complete package and that is VERY tempting.
    I am considering switching to the 2 core aluminum and keeping the clutch fan I am using since I know it works(although I wish the fan engaged sooner... it engages at 200 degrees for coolant temp(which according to Hayden is normal)