Black it again, window mouldings

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Uwe Koch, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Uwe Koch

Uwe Koch New Member

Oct 24, 2016
    The window mouldings on my 79 are still the original ones, but no more black. Previous owner removed the black paint, maybe it was faded away. What are your suggestions to get them back in black, I am thinking about painting them with Hammerite in no glossy, but not quite sure. Best if they can stay on car, little afraid of dismounting them g we thing them back in correct mode. Thanks for suggesting.

2. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    Uwe Koch likes this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    If your going to paint them they'll have to come off. Try to fine the clips an remove them from there. And if the trim clips are plastic an old your gonna break some of them. Painted mine with Rustoleum satin black an my air brush

Uwe Koch likes this.
  4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yep, that was me. I am definitely getting my trim powdercoated in black.

Uwe Koch likes this.
  5. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    I powder coated mine too....It was cheap and so easy...Once you drop it off its their problem...Not messing with stripping, sanding and over spray.. plus very durable. If you are going from the bare aluminum moulding to black you might want to try and smooth out any bends or dents because the black with show everything...All 7 mouldings was 60 bucks....Was torn between gloss, flat and semi....Went semi but maybe should have gone gloss....
    Shop around P coaters....First company I went to wanted $200

Uwe Koch likes this.
  6. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    $60 is a great deal for all the molding. The place I use has a min charge of $85.

7. Detrailers

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    they do alot of other items on the auto detail/pressure washing set ups we build so they definitely hook me up on the small stuff

8. Uwe Koch

Uwe Koch New Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Thank you guys, i'll talk to my paintshop for powdercoating, hope getting them safely off. Are the Clips in 79 plastic ones? Then i have to preorder spares, takes time to get them here.

9. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    there is no powdercoating shop in this land that will coat all 7 pieces for $60 unless you are a well known friend

...at least $200

10. Detrailers

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    ....or you bring them lots of their favorite beer....