Blew up the 454 in the C30

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Da_Raabi, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Well my wife finished pulling the pass head yesterday while I was at work. The pistons look undisturbed. There are valve reliefs in them and no marks. Pic below, sorry about the quality. I plan to get a better one. The valves looks undisturbed as well. If they did hit, it was sure lightly. I'm going to have a local head guy take a quick look at them to make sure they are ok.

Would these be considered flat-top or dished pistons? I was amazed at the condition of everything. The cylinder walls looked good (not much cross-hatch left but there are no scratches or ridges etc) and the pistons were not badly caked with carbon, nor were the valves. Honestly the insides of this engine have really surprised me. 33-year old 454 with 153k miles and I have yet to find any gunk or buildup and no major carbon issues. Crazy.

20190626_1538531.jpg

1980RS and Bandit723 like this.
  2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Not as crazy as you think I have had dozens just like it..it is called maintenance.
    Keep good oil and filters in it and they can survive looking nice for decades.

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:eek:
    is she cute too?......lol

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd say she's a keeper, if you want to stay alive.

Those sure are some big pistons, even in the picture they look huge. Was that a roller block? Lots of potential there.

5. frank5s

frank5s Veteran Member

l love big block chevy!!

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can verify she is, we've met twice in Daytona to swap parts, 2nd time we didn't know it was each other then I was like...I remember your girlfriend....

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I would toss a new head gasket or 2 in the engine with some new pushrods and timing set. See how it runs, if it's ok call it a day and have a Beer.

8. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Visited the head builder today. He said my heads are perfect. No issues at all. So I guess the 454 is not an interference engine after all!

He took a look at my lifters and said they are whooped though. Said I need a cam. Any opinions on the Comp Cams Magnum 270H? I know it's a fairly big cam, but how do you all think it would act in a 454/peanut heads/4.10 Dooley's/dual plane intake?

9. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Got the new cam kit on the way. I decided on a Comp Cams K-kit with the 270H grind. Should be a rowdy cam. I'll be curious to see how it runs!

10. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

I am excited to hear no additional damage was caused by the timing set failure! Talk about best case scenario.