Body filler

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 1981zapper, Nov 17, 2019.

1. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

I patched my floor and have everything welded in, what type of body filler would you guys use over the weld? want a nice clean job

also

My trunk pan has some pitting, I want to smooth everything out

IMG_1855.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg IMG_1975.jpeg

Evercoat short strand fiberglass filler

[​IMG]

Evercoat Metal-2-Metal

[​IMG]

2. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

When I did a hatch floor repair in my 74 Nova, I used the short hair filler then after sanding it down, came back with a standard filler.

The donor floor butt welded in and the welds ground down:

[​IMG]

The first layer of short hair fiberglass filler:

[​IMG]

The fiberglass filler covered with standard filler after sanding and feathering out the first layer:

[​IMG]

Then sprayed the area with primer after sanding and feathering out the standard filler:

[​IMG]

If you have some pits in the metal and it's clean down in the pits, think about applying a good epoxy primer and then if needed, comeback with a high build primer and sanding it down to bury the visible pits.
    This is from an ex relations dodge dart and after the first coat of epoxy primer you can see the pits and then I sanded it down to then apply a second coat of high build primer.

[​IMG]

And then after a few coats of more primer and sanding, the pits were gone:

[​IMG]

On the above, I left visible marks of the factory spot welds and mostly concentrated on the pitted metal.

My opinion is on the topside of the floors, chances are no one will ever see that area but on the bottom side is where more work should be done. In a trunk or hatchback area, both the topside AND the underside needs to be addressed.

It's one of those things, how much do you want to put into it ?.

Jim

70lt1z28 likes this.
  3. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

If you are just smoothing welds I would use a non reinforced filler, nothing fancy. Reinforced fillers are harder to work with and in some of the more convoluted areas may be a pain to smooth out. I would recommend hitting the bare welds with an epoxy primer then putting filler on top.