Bourbon glazed ham

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by fatkid_racing, Jan 15, 2016.

1. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm generally pretty hush hush with my BBQ recipes, but I thought I'd share this one. I used a store bought ham, bone in, not sliced. Open up a hole in the top of the bag and drain the packing solution and fill with your favorite bourbon (I use Jim Beam) and refrigerate 24 hours. Use a bowl to collect the bourbon the next day and make a paste with your favorite rub and the bourbon (I cheated and used Stubbs pork rub because I didn't have time to make mine) and liberally rub the entire ham. Let it rest while you heat up your pit to around 250 (I was lazy and used my electric with pecan chips) place ham in a foil cooking pan and put it in the pit and cook for about an hour or so to get the rub caramelized, then lower the heat to around 200 and add a cup or two of bourbon to the pan and cover the ham with foil making a "tent" type cover and smoke for another 20 hours or so. The end result is a fall off the bone tender juicy ham that will be the envy of your next party. I made mine at Christmas and have made 3 more for other people that just had to have one.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds good. I like a good ham, so I make one up every couple of months. Lately, hams have been cheap again now that we are getting past the virus problem they had with pigs dying off a couple of years ago. I like ham even better than bacon....I know that would be blasphemy to some of you.

3. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds Tasty!!

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Forget the pics, give us all a taste!!! Lol
    It does sound good. Do you tenderize it with a fork or anything that will allow the bourbon to season the ham close to the bone?

5. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds bitchin'
    I may have to try that with ribs.
    This year I gave smoked briskets for Christmas....
    I was a hero for a day...lol:innocent:

6. fatkid_racing

I've found that just allowing to soak in the bourbon does the trick. It has enough natural sugar from the mashing/distilling process to open the pores in the meat. The longer you let it soak the better it does.

Here are a couple pics of a shoulder I did to make pulled pork, it marinated in the bourbon solution for 3 days. [​IMG][/[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  7. fatkid_racing

[​IMG]

8. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

:eek: ...drool! That looks great!