Boycott Autozone!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by junkyardZ28find, Oct 25, 2014.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

If you can't look at an ACDelco professional series ball joint and tell the higher quality over a Moog or (insert name of other replacement ball joint here), then I suggest getting your eyes checked.

2. steveWFL

steveWFL Veteran Member

^^^missing the point on this? Most all parts are manufactured overseas, even the ones going on brand new American cars.

Plus, whole American cars are being made overseas.

3. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like autozone. But you need to check the part. They do not mind swapping. I also use the card and get $20 back for every hundred spent. Cool in my book.

But as someone said I get the part numbers before hand and try my best to ignore the guy at the counter.

4. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And pay twice the price? Geez:rolleyes:

If I could ante up for the "higher" quality, I would. My Camaro has all Moog front end parts, and I couldn't be happier. :). I got hit with a lot of unexpected expenses this year but I don't want a minor problem to turn into a major one. 3 of the 4 boots are leaking on the ball joints and with 121K miles on the clock, I would rather replace than to patch. I am meticulous about maintenance such a rotating the tires every spring and fall and check the front end components as well.

I buy a lot of stuff from Auto zone and is generally nickel and dime. For the more expensive items, I like to shop around for the best deal. I plan ahead so I don't mind waiting a few days.

Yep.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  5. Chevy 350

Chevy 350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I havent used autozone regularly for several years now. Never have the part, they dont have it in lifetime, most of the people at the counter dont have much automotive experience or they think they know everything, electrical components are a joke

6. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can attest to that. Several years ago I was getting a part for the Camaro that of course, was not a "original" to the vehicle. Go figure, its been converted to fuel injection :cool:

The young kid was trying to argue with me about it, as I try to explain to him, hey... get me the part.

Behind the counter, was the manager, who I knew for years, back in the day when my brother used to work for AZ, and far enough back when he knew I did the FI conversion on the "82 Skylark, back in 1996.
    I got the managers attention and said, "Wayne, you want to tell him or should I"?

Wayne took the kid behind the wall and then a couple of minutes later, he emerged with a different attitude. ;)

7. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

31 years in the business I can tell the difference. Moog all the way for me.

8. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That was my point.

9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I go to whomever has the part. Auto Zone or O'Reilly, it does not matter. Call ahead with the part number and ask them to make sure they really have it there and not just in the computer as inventory. Do not let them use/trust the computer and, problem solved. (They will not get the chance to tell you there is no such thing as a SBC 400.:rolleyes: )

If I order it on line, I make sure I have enough stuff in the order to get free shipping or make sure I cannot get it locally before taking the dollar hit.

If I need it, I buy it. Unless I do not have the $$$. Which is a lot of the time lately:mad: .

10. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 Veteran Member

As far as original post that would most likely be whats called an outside buy. I ran the commercial side of my local autozone for way more years than planned and one thing is if you dont have it and they need it you find a way to get it. What that creates is a shop that will call you first time everytime also from my dealings most shop owners/mechanics on the payroll dont like to take the time to mess with ordering online etc since it takes time away they could be spinning a wrench on the next car and making $. The outside buys dont happen much on the diy side since well that customer will typically just go look it up and get it.